Tapioca Express Crispy Chicken
Ok.. I've been searching and searching for a recipe so I can make this at home. Anyone know how to make this? How do you get that crispy texture? Some places have soggy chicken but I found that Tapioca Express has the best "Yen Su Ji." What do you think?
i've tried this, but it's not quite there...
1.5 kg boneless skinless chicken thigh (Cut into bite size pieces) : Chicken thigh has better texture than breast meat but if you want, you can still use chicken breasts.
1 cup thick soy sauce
1/4 cup sweet cooking rice wine (mirin is also a good choice)
3 tablespoons white pepper
1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder (you can find in Hua Ho, and most Asian grocery stores)
2 whole garlic clove, minced finely
3 tablespoons honey or (2 tablespoons brown sugar or white sugar)
1 teablespoon sesame oil
Lots of sweet potato flour (aka SWEET POTATO starch, used for the coating of chicken)
Sweet fresh Thai basil (not the Italian Basil) for deep frying.
1) First of all, mix all the ingredients to marinate the chicken together first.
2) Marinate the chicken with the marinade for half an hour.
3) Heat up the oil to the right frying temperature.
4) Coat the chicken with the sweet potato starch and deep fry in small batches till golden brown, then allow them to drip on a wire net.
5) After finishing, deep fry some fresh basil leaves and serve them with the popcorn chicken.
6) Sprinkle some extra pepper or salt on the popcorn chicken while hot