GREAT BEER LISTS
The la times the guide launched maybe 6 months ago. I stumbled onto a really respectable beer bar list. All beer lovers should peruse the list.
LA should be WAY better when it comes to beer. CA has the best beer outside of belgium in my opinion. From Lagunitas, to bear republic, to Anderson Valley, to Stone, Firestone, Pizza Port, Craftsman, Alesmith, Lost Coast, Russian River, Mendonico County, etc. CA has the craziest IPAs, ridiculously great stouts, malty hefs, and belgium style ales. I didn’t even mention Anchor, Sierra Nevade, and Gordon Bierch. LA is getting better about representing CA’s elite brews!
Anyhow, I wanted to add a few places though that have respectable beer by the bottles
Tompkins Square Park Grill in Westchester (The Father's office of LAX area
)Delerium Pub in sierra Madre (Same as lucky baldwin)
red lion tavern in eagle rock (Large german/belgium beer bottle selection)
Beachwood BBQ in the OC (The boneyard Bistro of the OC)
Blue Velvet DTLA (Very respectable bottle selection, and sometimes they make inhouse specialty brews for their tasting menu)
Cafe Boogaloo in Hermosa Beach (Live blues, passable cajun, good beer bottle selection)
beechwood in venice (respectable beer menu)
Blairs in silver lake (Just like mozza, it has a decent selection for a fine dining restaurant)
Pizzeria Mozza (Osteria mozza was listed, but the pizzeria just upgraded thier beer offerings. Dont let the waitors bring you italian lager crap. Get the good stuff)
3 on 4th in santa monica (Fine dining establishment in santa monica with great beer)
Pure Luck on Heliotroupe (This is a vegan resto with a strong selection)
Landmark theatres (Just a movie theatre, but one with an awesome selection of beers)
Brussels in Laguna Beach (Great belgium beer bar in pretty downtown Laguna)
El Prado in echo park (new tiny winebar witha small selection of craft beer. It ONLY serves craft beer, so that is why it is listed, despite its small selection)
There are so many other places with good beer like a west coast IPA I had at Lucques, or the delicious brews of Unibroue Brewing that I had at Angelini Caffe on Melrose and Violet in Santa Monica. Each of those places only has 2-3 beers, but they are all specialty beers, so they are worth mentioning.
Most decent places in LA will carry Chimay these days.
There is a new specialty beer and gourmet sausage restaurant building out in downtown LA. Probably wont be ready until this time next year given the typical speed of LA construction.
Anyhow. Long live great CA craft beer!
Great list, jl
I'll add the Crow Bar in Corona del Mar and Goat Hill Tavern in Costa Mesa
Crow Bar & Kitchen
2325 E Coast Hwy, Corona Del Mar, CA 92625
Goat Hill Tavern
1830 Newport Blvd, Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Verdugo Bar in Eagle Rock.
Third Stop on Third St.
I second the Pure Luck rec.
Father's Office of course.
I'll have to try El Prado soon.
re: augustus gloob
Whoops, I totally forgot all about Verdugo. Good one!!!!
3rd stop is terrific, and is listed in the times guide article.
I should place all of those recs from that artcile onto this board.
1. Father's Office Santa Monica (the defining LA gastropub)
2. Naja's Place Redondo Beach (Total dive bar with an INSANE Selection of taps and bottles. best on the west coast?!?!)
3. The Otheroom Venice (AWESOME bottle selection)
4. 3rd Stop West Hollywood (Father's office equivalanet,but CHEAPER!)
5. Library Bar Downtown L.A. (Small but very very thoughtful specialty beer list. Better than Father;s Office, but less selection.)
6. Lucky Baldwin's Pasadena (EXCEPTIONAL bottle and tap selection)
7. Boneyard Bistro Sherman Oaks (EXCEPTIONAL bottle selection)
8. Lucky Devils Hollywood (Smaller list than Father's office but better selection of truly rare finds)
9. Stuffed Sandwich San Gabriel (great bottle selection, but not a bar)
10. Library Ale House Santa Monica (Smaller version of father's office)
11. The York Highland Park (Small scale father's office)
12. Osteria Mozza Melrose (Good bottled selection for fine dining)
13. Little Bar Miracle Mile (Cool dive bar with respectable beers list. Should be better seeing as how they are a beer only bar)
14. The Hungry Cat Hollywood (Small, respectable, seasonal selection)
15. Rustic Canyon Wine Bar & Seasonal Kitchen Santa Monica (similar to blue velvet. Offers rare specialty beers with tasting menu)
16. Yard House Long Beach (Larger and better version of Elephant bar)
17. Redwood Bar & Grill Downtown L.A. (Carries alot of craftsman but not much breadth otherwise)
18. Spring Street Smokehouse Chinatown (Carries 6 bottles of Angle City Brewing Company. Not much breadth)
19. The Village Idiot Melrose (2 belgiums, 2 craftsman, 10 average beers)
These are from the times article, in edition to the ones I listed in the original post.
If anyone knows of more, keep it coming!
i visited sheddy's, the new place that took over bodega de cordova's spot on fairfax, a couple weeks ago, and they had a small, but pretty impressive beer list. off the top of my head, i recall maudite, a couple chimays, blanche de chambly (i was very excited -- not a huge beer person, but i love that one), fat tyre, various others..
Ditto Stuffed Sandwich.
Not just bottles, though those are extensive. He always has 7 or 8 taps on a theme. Sometimes all Belgian. Or aged Stones from the 90s. Or all Double IPAs. Recently he had all Lagunitas. The theme switches once a month. Be forewarned: very quirky place though!