SF - Rogue Ales Public House - Snake River burgers, haute dogs, Kurobuta ham and 40+ beers on tap?
Not much of a mention on this place on Chowhound, yet it seems to ring a lot of Chow bells
- late hours (12am)
- kid-friendly (kids meals served on a Rogue frisbee (to alert child protective services?)
- happy hour
- large beer selection
- draft root beer
- Adult happy meals (a toy is involed)
- dog-friendly ... they have a dog menu
What I've read elsewhere on the web is that the beer is great but the food so-so.
Yet ... the menu LOOKS interesting. There must be SOMETHING good on it
- Hummus made with Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale (well, maybe not)
- Thick cut beer battered onion rings
- Buffalo wings with Chipotle Ale hot sauce
- Nueske's bacon on a lot of stuff
- Rueben ... Corned beef simmered in Brutal Bitter beer with Shakespeare Stout sauerkraut
- Kobe beef sliders served on brioche with Wasabi mayonnaise.(ok that sounds wrong)
- Kobe hot dogs with that saurkraut ... not sure about the blue cheese dog though
- chocolate stout hot fudge sundae
Anyone tried the pots ... A rich thick stew with cream, wine and herbs, prepared individually in a steam pot ... yeah ... I need that.
So ... anyone?
Here's the menu in pdf form
The only (food) thing I had there was the burger, sometime last year. I liked it, although I didn't like it as much as I felt like I was supposed to, if you see what I mean. :) The patty gave me the impression of being machine-formed rather than hand-formed, but I couldn't swear to that -- it just had a suspiciously uniform shape, flatness, and density.
I recall having a better meal at the Rogue in Portland, Oregon, but unfortunately I can't remember what I had there (it's been a few years). The beer, in either place, is definitely worth checking out, though.