- cremebrulee Apr 16, 2008 04:56 PM
What are some simple and cool, savory and sweet things I can make with fillo dough?
I have a whole box that I don't know what to do with. :)
Are the possibilities limitless or I am I restricted to things like baklava?
mini fruit- or custard-filled tarts or quiches - sweet or savory - made in a muffin pan
napoleons [again, sweet or savory]
spinach and feta cheese between layers of phyllo is delicious. Search for spanikopita recipes if you want to get fancier.
Baklava is one of my favorites. Nothing wrong with it.
Here are a couple of Armenian recipes that use fillo dough:
Cheese or Spinach Beoreg - Baked Cheese or Spinach Pie with Filo
Puff Pastry Shells
• 2 phyllo dough pastry sheets
• - egg wash
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. On a lightly floured surface roll out 1 pastry sheet 1/8 inch thick (about 15 by 11 inches) and with a 2-inch round cutter cut out 12 rounds.
3. Roll out second pastry sheet and cut out 6 more rounds in same manner.
4. Roll out remaining pastry sheet and cut out 4 more rounds in same manner. (There will be a total of 16 rounds.)
5. Transfer 8 rounds to a large baking sheet.
6. With a 2 1/2-inch round cutter cut out and discard centers from remaining 8 rounds to make rings.
7. Prick rounds on baking sheet with a fork and brush lightly with some egg wash, being careful not to let wash run over edges.
8. Center pastry rings on rounds, pressing together lightly to adhere.
9. Brush tops of rings lightly with some egg wash, being careful not to let wash run over edges.
10. Bake pastry shells in middle of oven until golden, about 9 minutes, and transfer to a rack.
11. With a paring knife carefully cut out and remove pastry centers to form cavities.
12. Pastry shells may be made 2 days ahead and kept in airtight containers.
13. Reheat pastry shells in middle of a 400°F. oven until warm before serving.
speyerer, I hate to be a naysayer, but the recipe you cited seems to be a puff pastry recipe, which is quite different from phyllo/fillo/filo. Phyllo can "puff," but only with multiple layers interspersed with a butter wash. One later of phyllo is simply paper thin and does not work in this recipe.
Sorry to point it out.