Top 5 dining experiences
My friend recently asked me what my top 5 dining experiences in NY have been, and I have to admit I was stumped for an answer. Price aside and judging by the overall experience and not food alone, I found it is a struggle to choose my top five. Here is what I ended up with:
1. Cafe Boulud
2. Gramercy Tavern
4. Mamoun's (it's amazing how great this place is at 2:00AM on a Saturday)
5. Peter Luger
What would be your top 5 of dining experiences in New York? I am curious to see how people answer, keeping in mind the whole package of food, atmosphere, service, fun and anything else that is important to you.
1. L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon - very recent and incredible
2. Daniel - many amazing meals, always on point
3. WD-50 - super creative and interesting
4. Gordon Ramsey at the London - not crazy but perfectly executed
5. Per Se - despite a few glitches (it was quite new, just after their fire)
Nobu: mid priced omakase
Alta: the whole sha-bang (GREAT for 10-12 people) we counted and by the end of the night we had tried 22 different kinds of meat/fish/poultry
River Cafe: tasting menu at sunset, an amazing view
Wild Salmon: Apex Cellars wine tasting dinner
Pure Food and Wine: tasting menu outside in garden. Was amazed by how delicious raw food could be
(In no particular order)
1. Apizz - Gnocchi with braised short ribs, the pizza appetizer, flourless chocolate cake
2. Lupa - Bucatini All' Amatriciana
3. Fatty Crab - steamed pork buns, lo si fun, fatty duck
4. Bleeker Street Pizza - Nonna Maria slice and Grandma slice
5. Sripraphai - chicken curry puff, pad thai with shrimp, stewed beef
1.The Kitchen Counter at Beacon
2. Degustation Wine and Tasting Bar
3. Jean Georges
4. Di Fara's
5. Pastrami/Corned Beef Sandwich at Katz's
Ko is probably on there too, but haven't been, as well as places like Per Se and Mas.
Best dining experience is so subjective. If it is to be a New York institution then Katz's, DiFara's and the other old standby's are tops.
1. Eleven Madison Park tasting menu
2. Le Bernardin tasting menu with the caviar pasta.
3. Bouley in the ooooold days
4. LES eating tour w/ Chicken Schwarma at chickpea, Sugar Snap peas with fresh horseradish and Shrimp with Corn at Momofuku, Pastrami at Katz's and Gelato at Il Lab.
5. Square pie at DiFara's.