quick - i have a rare chance to dine alone - where should i go?
no kids, no husband, no friends, no clients, no colleagues. should be downtown and super good food.
Like Babbo, and will add counter seating at Casa Mono. When you are alone, you won't care if a place will require to shout to have a conversation. All you need is good food!
Eating alone can be fun! Here's my list of recs:
1. Sushi Yasuda - sit at the bar
2. Degustation - get the tasting menu
3. L'Atelier Joel Robuchon - pricey, but perfect place to eat alone as you sit at the bar
4. Babbo's - try the pasta tasting menu if you're not afraid of carbs
5. Pearl Oyster - enjoy a lobster roll and oysters
Hope this helps!
I've never been there, but if I had the same dillema as you, I would go with Dorctorj's advice and head over to number 1. on their list... "Sushi Yasuda - sit at the bar". The one problem is that it isn't downtown, but I'd still do it given the chance.