Sushi in Phoenix
A random thought occurred to me... I usually get sushi fixes done right in LA, but what if I need an emergency quickie during the week? Where, and can, one find good sushi in Phoenix?
(I've had bad sushi in Mesa, at some rather forgettable place... and am hoping for some simple fresh stuff). No fancy rolls or varieties for me. I'm a pure sashimi-type.
i speak only on behalf of the greater phx/scottsdale area... the east valley eludes me. but as far as i am concerned, for what you seek, there are only 5 sources (and by seek, I mean really GOOD fish.. sashimi... not rolls)
1. Fish Market- don't underrate it. For sashimi, its really pretty awesome. 20th St and Camelback
2. Hana- you can usually catch them cutting down a massive fish right there 7th Ave and Missouri
3. Kampai- the original. there is no better. period. 38th St and Bell
4. Hiro- they lost their uber chef Eugene a year or two ago, but they're still masters of real japanese sushi and sashimi 92nd St and Shea
5. Yasu- awesome quality of fish. Cactus and Tatum
Don't bother with the west side... and I'm sure people can kick in opinions on the East side.
Dropping in place links...
9393 N 90th St, Scottsdale, AZ 85258
Yasu Sushi Bistro
4316 E Cactus Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85032
Kampai Japanese Restaurant
2945 E Bell Rd Ste 102, Phoenix, AZ 85032
Fish Market Restaurant
1720 E Camelback Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85016