Here's the only carrot cake recipe you will ever need. People have hunted me down for the recipe because they loved it so much. The frosting is "to die for. Enjoy!
Simple Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Ifyou like nuts in your cake, stir 1 1/2 cups toasted chopped pecans orwalnuts into the batter along with the carrots. Raisins are also a goodaddition; 1 cup can be added along with the carrots. If you add bothnuts and raisins, the cake will need an additional 10 to 12 minutes inthe oven.
Makes one 13 by 9-inch cake
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (12 1/2 ounces)
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 pound medium carrots (6 to 7 carrots), peeled
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (10 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil or safflower, or canola oil
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 ounces cream cheese softerend but still cool
5 tablespoons unsalted butter softened, but still cool
1 tablespoon sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar (4 1/2 ounces)
1. For the cake: Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat ovento 350 degrees. Spray 13 by 9-inch baking pan with nonstick cookingspray. Line bottom of pan with parchment and spray parchment.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in large bowl; set aside.
3. In food processor fitted with large shredding disk, shred carrots(you should have about 3 cups); transfer carrots to bowl and set aside.Wipe out food processor workbowl and fit with metal blade. Processgranulated and brown sugars and eggs until frothy and thoroughlycombined, about 20 seconds. With machine running, add oil through feedtube in steady stream. Process until mixture is light in color and wellemulsified, about 20 seconds longer. Scrape mixture into medium bowl.Stir in carrots and dry ingredients until incorporated and no streaksof flour remain. Pour into prepared pan and bake until toothpick orskewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes,rotating pan halfway through baking time. Cool cake to room temperaturein pan on wire rack, about 2 hours.
4. For the frosting: When cake is cool, process cream cheese,butter, sour cream, and vanilla in clean food processor workbowl untilcombined, about 5 seconds, scraping down bowl with rubber spatula asneeded. Add confectioners' sugar and process until smooth, about 10seconds.
5. Run paring knife around edge of cake to loosen from pan. Invertcake onto wire rack, peel off parchment, then invert again onto servingplatter. Using icing spatula, spread frosting evenly over surface ofcake. Cut into squares and serve. (Cover leftovers and refrigerate forup to 3 days.)
This looks just like the CI recipe and I can say its absolutely the best carrot cake. Just made it for my mother in laws 85th birdthday party last weekend and everyone LOVED it! ESPECIALLY the frosting. I add chopped pecans to the batter and sprinkle toasted coconut over the top of the frosting. YUM!!
Here's a delicious Cooking Light recipe for "Carrot Cake With Toasted Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting". It doesn't taste "light" at all. In fact, it's my new carrot cake favorite. I've made it twice since mid-February. The golden raisins could be left out, but since they are mild and thin skinned, they just kind of melt into the cake and add a bit of sweetness. The frosting isn't as sweet as most and has a nice "tang" to it because of the cream cheese.