Dumpling House - new reason to come here
I'm starting a new thread on this
So i went there last night after eating at super taste and i've decided there is a new reason to come here besides dumplings, they have a large section of new small dishes that are worth trying...if you look at the menu they have a section that says "Beijing Style Buns + Stuffed Pancakes" and so far the two things I've tried on this menu are very good and definitely worth trying
here's what's listed in this section:
- pork fried buns (sheng jian bao)
- pork & scallion streamed roll (can't read the characters)
- chive & egg pancake (jiu cai zi)
- cabbage & pork pancake (bai cai zhu rou bing)
- egg pancake (dan bing)
- onion & beef pancake (niu rou bing)
Here's what i thought of what i tried
- chive & egg pancake: this is very tasty, its kind of like a jamaican beef patty except its stuffed with egg, chives and glass noodles, its great with some sriracha.
- onion & beef pancake: i mistakenly thought was the same beef roll that is all over LA (i read the 3rd character wrong b/c i just glanced at it last time) instead its actually more similar to the bings that the now defunct "bing lady" used to sell except its not covered in sesame seeds, the filling was chopped green onions and beef, there also happens to be alot of soup (i.e. fat) inside of it that is sort of like a xiao lon bao...anyhow very tasty nonetheless
Also they have hot soy bean milk (dou jiang) that is pretty good, its hot and not too sweet...not as awesome as the flower shop lady in queens, but still good. They also have kimchi (la bai cai) and sour & spicy cucumber (suan la huang gua) for sale, haven't tried it yet, but it looks tasty.
In the other post, i also talked about the pancake with peking duck, which is just like the beef sesame pancake except it has sliced roast duck and hoisin sauce....quite tasty
Anyhow, I know there has been a sort of Dumpling House backlash and everyone is on the Properity train, but I think there is a new reason to come to dumpling house as they're offering some very tasty snacks that aren't available anywhere else in manhattan to my knowledge
well to be fair i think people are mainly comparing them to prosperity b/c i dont think any of the other dumpling places in ctown are as good as dumpling house (mosco sucks, fried dumpling on allen is just ok, i havent been to sun dou in a really long time, the one by the park is so so as well)
Yes, I think it has to do with the amount of attention and adulation that Dumpling House receives compared to Prosperity, rather than Dumpling House not being good. Agreed that Fried Dumpling is no good, and it's not like it's the only option in the immediate area, as Tasty Dumpling on Mulberry is close enough.
For me, it's not because of the disparaity in adulation / attention.. it's because i reallly think Dumpling House's dumplings aren't that good. I'll have to try again, but the last time I was there, the filling was bland - tasted of white peper and not much else.
THeir other items are fantastic, but for me, the dumplings are what matter (thus my screen name :)
Another reason is that they now take your order, give you a ticket, with a number on it, and then fill your order in an orderly manner. Nirvana! Gone are the days of frantic attempts to make eye contact with incredibly cramped and busy staff decidedly not interested in making eye contact with you. Everything costs about 50 cents more now, but it's still incredibly cheap good food.
I thought the ground beef and onion patty in bread was comforting, but didn't have the flavor and scope of the spicy beef bings.