Meatball Sandwich Hunt
For the last few months I've had a craving for a meatball sandwich with marinara. So I've sampled several, and I list my rankings below. Are there other places in SF that 'Hounds recommend?
1. The Gold Standard: Pasta Gina on Diamond near 24th. Wonderfully seasoned, huge meatballs, perfect texture, cut in half on an Acme roll. The marinara is thick and deeply flavorful. Mozzerella is the highest quality. With tax it's a bit over $9, and you have to sit outside on a bench, but this is one of the best sandwiches I've ever had, bar none.
2. Morty's Deli, in the Tenderloin. Also obviously homemade meatballs, with hints of fennel and oregano. Good, substantial roll (MAY have been sourdough), marinara tasty, cheese unremarkable.
3. Mastrelli's Deli in SF Ferry Building. Also homemade meatballs, but spicing not as delicious as Pasta Gina or Morty's. Marinara tasty. Choice of rolls. On the clerk's recommendation, I got the ciabatta roll. Mastrelli's puts the sandwich in a press, which I don't care for - and the roll dissolved before I was done with the sandwich. I don't remember the cheese.
4. Marina Submarine on Union St. I'm pretty sure these are factory meatballs. "Homemade" marinara is unremarkable. Cheap roll that disintegrates after the first bite.
5. Subway. The meatball is the sandwich of the day on Tuesdays, when it's only $2.99. Cheap bread, toasted, factory meatballs, but not bad at all for the price.
On my list to try:
Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store
Mozzarella de Buffula
Any other suggestions/favorites?
On nasty rainy days, I crave meatball sandwiches as well. There was a place I liked on Union Street in Cow Hollow--a little Italian deli that was only open weekdays during regular business hours, so I only visited a few times when I was home sick.
I think it is Corsagna's?
1668 Union St, San Francisco, CA 94123
I like the meatball sandwich at Amici's (I've only had the sandwich at the King St. branch near the ballpark.) The only problem here is that they stop serving it at 3:00 pm every day. I wish that they'd put it on their dinner menu. It's very delicious.
I also like the take-out only meatball sandwich at Roxie's on San Jose Ave. (I think that they also serve it at their branch on Kirkham in the Inner Sunset.
Roxie Food Center
1901 San Jose Ave, San Francisco, CA 94112
Amici's East Coast Pizzeria
216 King St, San Francisco, CA 94107
Amici's East Coast Pizzeria
2200 Lombard St, San Francisco, CA 94123
Roxie's Market & Deli
500 Kirkham St, San Francisco, CA
I used to be a fan of the meatball sandwich at the old US Restaurant. I haven't been since it moved and now I hear the restaurant has been sold. It was a great sandwich back in the day....maybe worth checking out if you're in the neighborhood.