HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

KitchenAid Stand Mixer

bstrom1 Feb 24, 2008 01:39 AM

I have recently moved to the UK from the US. I brought with me my 6 quart KitchenAid stand mixer. I am trying to find out what wattage of voltage converter I would need in order to safely use this appliance. Would anyone know? Regards, Brian

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. h
    Harters RE: bstrom1 Feb 24, 2008 06:31 AM

    Our standard is 220 - 240 V.

    1. zuriga1 RE: bstrom1 Feb 24, 2008 06:32 AM

      According to my resident expert, you will need something called a step up transformer. He says they are pricey, perhaps large and will convert your 110 voltage things to the UK 220. I, myself, left all my electric things back in the States because I knew it was a permanent move. I used to find that the converter things didn't work all that well - hairdryer etc. I wanted all new things. :-)

      2 Replies
      1. re: zuriga1
        Harters RE: zuriga1 Feb 24, 2008 10:05 AM

        These people seem to have a pretty useful website - and have a phone helpline which might be useful to make sure the corect product was ordered:


        1. re: Harters
          zuriga1 RE: Harters Feb 24, 2008 01:22 PM

          That looks like a very helpful site, John. Thanks. Did you see the size of those step and down converters? They probably look larger than in reality, but I wouldn't want one of those in my kitchen!

      2. Lina RE: bstrom1 Feb 24, 2008 10:42 PM

        Brian, check out UK-Yankee, it's a site for Americans who have moved to the UK. Their forums are very helpful.

        This thread in particular might help: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?t...

        In my experience, this is the sort of item that you don't really want to try and use. Anything that is heat or energy producing, like kitchen stuff and hair dryers always end up destroyed, even if you buy expensive converters. It's painful, but chucking it and getting a new one is the only long-term solution, I think. Check out those forums though, there's a ton of useful info on there, including a big cooking section.

        1 Reply
        1. re: Lina
          dexters RE: Lina Feb 25, 2008 03:00 AM

          I agree. I found that most things with a motor don't work properly here in the UK.
          If you're only going to be here for a short time, I suggest leaving your kitchen aid, blender, hair dryers, vacuums, etc. at home and just buying new ones here. It is painful, but I've been making due with a cheap handheld mixer instead of my professional kitchen aid that is waiting for me in storage upon my return to the states.

        2. misswills RE: bstrom1 Feb 25, 2008 03:25 AM

          I would agree with everyone who argues that you should leave the KitchenAid at home. You can buy them here in London, albeit at a very, very dear price (Think 300 pounds for the Artisan versus 300 dollars). Life sucks without it, but it's not worth blowing out your mixer. They're also very expensive to ship given their weight!

          To further illustrate my point, I'll give you my previous experience using step-up converters. I had a step-up converter that I used for charging small electricals (e.g. Nintendo DS) and for blowing up the Aerobed for guests. It worked great for these purposes. However, I blew it out immediately when I tried to use it with my American rice cooker. I imagine that a stand mixer would succumb to a similar fate.

          1. j
            JBride RE: bstrom1 May 26, 2008 12:52 AM

            I moved to the UK from the US in 2005 and had rotten luck with step up transformers on stereos etc.. The key seemed to be to make sure you get one that is powerful enough. I bought the bare minimum required for my stereo and it never worked properly.

            I have a similar problem now... I got a Kitchen Aid mixer as a gift while in the UK and we are about to move back to the US. Does anyone know if I can use a step-down transformer with any luck in the US? J&R seems to have them for about $50 which is clearly a better deal than buying a new mixer - plus this one has huge sentimental value. Any experience with this? I've been trolling the net to no avail...


            8 Replies
            1. re: JBride
              Lina RE: JBride May 26, 2008 01:49 PM

              I've heard that step downs work better in that they don't blow out, but they don't work well for things like this. If the mixer is designed to get a certain amount of power, the lower voltage won't sustain it. I've used a UK hairdryer in the US and it didn't blow out, but it didn't heat up very much. Pretty useless overall.

              Sentimental value aside, sell it in the UK. With the exchange rate as it is, you'll be able to get enough to cover the cost of one in the US no problem. I shudder to think how much it would cost to ship one of those back, anyway.

              1. re: Lina
                kauk RE: Lina Aug 8, 2008 08:00 AM

                Hi Lina

                Im moving soon to the UK too and as my company also pays moving, Yesterday, I bought a kitchenaid stand mixer (325 watt) to take with me . I have alraedy bought the proper transformer for the UK: a step down transformer(500watt) . When reading the manual i realized that i may encounter problems even when using the proper transformer. Is yours still doing well? What model have you got? I would apprecciate if you can update me with your experirnces



                1. re: kauk
                  Lina RE: kauk Aug 9, 2008 12:24 PM

                  Hi Ana,

                  Looks like you didn't read the posts very closely! I didn't bring my mixer with me because it's not a very good idea--I just left mine in storage in the US. I'd recommend returning the mixer you just got and getting one in the UK, or learning to live without one.

                  Trying to use US equipment such as mixers in the UK, even with a good converter will *always* blow eventually. No one ever believes this, though, and has to test it out for themselves. I could post a list of things I've lost due to converters failing. Too depressing. Spare yourself the heartache.

                  1. re: Lina
                    kauk RE: Lina Aug 10, 2008 10:45 AM

                    hi lina..thanks ..indeed ..i think my reply and questions were for abgilliam ..im not sure why i saw his/her post under your name . Thanks a lot for the advise in any case.


              2. re: JBride
                abgilliam RE: JBride May 28, 2008 07:42 PM

                i just moved from the UK to US, and instead of giving my KA mixer and Magimix away( didn't want to bother selling stuff) i shipped it over. our move was paid by employer, so shipping wasn't an issue. i had been told by an 'expert' at john lewis that i could just change the plugs to US 220 and plug them into a 220 outlet here. An electrician here told me that I couldn't do that, so I bought a step down transformer for about $60. The KA works fine ( have only used it 7 or 8 times), but any hard jobs in the Magimix blow out fuses.

                1. re: abgilliam
                  kauk RE: abgilliam Aug 10, 2008 10:55 AM

                  Hi abg

                  Is your KA mixer still doing well? What model have you got? I would apprecciate if you can update me with your experirnces



                  1. re: abgilliam
                    JBride RE: abgilliam Mar 3, 2009 03:43 AM

                    to Abgilliam: This is a really late reply but thank you very much. We were temporarily derailed to Switzerland where I used my UK KA mixer perfectly well (and frequently!) with just an adapter. Ahhh...how simple. I'm now convinced I'm going to ship it to the US and find a step-down transformer. Thank you very much for your input!!

                    to Lina: I don't know much about voltage / wattage etc... but definitely found all of the appliances I brought from US to UK (vacuum cleaner, stereo) would have been MUCH better left in the USA. Hopefully it will be different going UK to US.

                    1. re: JBride
                      10tacle RE: JBride May 8, 2009 06:46 AM

                      Late reply, but hopefully you're still in the UK. I have got this kitchenaid mixer and blender from the us, brand new both. But getting it to work in the Netherlands is so much hassle. Depending on the condition of your appliances, I would like to propose an exchange. My mizer is not a 6quartz though, it's a 4,5. But, as I said, never used, brand new. Thank you. Andrea

                Show Hidden Posts