Recipe FOR (not using) Cream of Chicken Soup
I posted this a couple of days ago, but was definitely unclear in my request. I'm craving homemade cream of chicken soup-not a recipe using canned soup. Can't find a recipe in my usual sources-anyone have something they love?
"Cream of Anything" Soup
Rice and Onion Soup Base as described in Julia Child's The Way to Cook.
• 2 cups of thinly sliced onions
• 2 Tablespoons of butter
• 4 cups liquid (water, vegetable stock, chicken stock, whatever)
• ½ cup of raw white rice
Note: This "Cream of Anything" Soup adapts easily to make a fat-free, vegan "creamy" soup that is totally satisfying and wonderfully versatile.
1. In a black cast iron pot, sauté the onions in butter over moderately low heat for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are very tender and colored no more than a buttery yellow.
2. Pour in 4 cups of the stock, stir in the rice and simmer for 20 minutes or more until the rice is very tender.
3. During the last few minute of simmering the mixture and before puréeing the Rice and Onion Soup Base, add grated veggies or steamed veggies (such as cauliflower, or broccoli, or both) of your choice.
4. Purée the mixture in the blender until very smooth and lightly thickened, adding a little more stock if needed.
5. Add the purée to the soup.
Note: If making Cream of Zucchini Soup, for example, add grated zucchini (from about 1½ pounds) to the rice mixture for the last few minutes of the simmering and purée everything together. Add additional liquid until the soup is the thickness/thinness desired. Simmer 2 or 3 more minutes. Adjust seasonings.
How about making a thin cream sauce using the best chicken stock that you have time for? To add more chicken character, use the chicken fat that collected on top of the chilled stock when making the roux (instead of butter). There have been lots of threads about making stock.