Best non-Buffalo wings you ever had ?
Buffalo wings may get all the press, but over the years I've had some memorable wings that were not just butter and hot sauce.
1) A bar across the street from U of F in Gainesville used (1985ish) to have wings covered in their own house secret sauce that I ate there all the time. To this day I have no idea what was in it or how to make it but it still haunts my dreams.
2) Famous Dave's spicy bbq wings. My young son and I often get one of those obscene garbage can lids full of 60 of em and go to town. Very hard to stop once you get going.
3) Thai wings at Lotus of Siam, Las Vegas. I know, I know, there is sooo much good and authentic thai food here that it is almost sacriligious to order them, but they are incredible.
4) Bon Chon Chicken wings in NYC. Just get em.
5) My homemade asian style wings with real chinese plum sauce, freshly ground aromatics, fresh minced elephant garlic and chiles and a dash of hoisin and dark soy sauces.
I made almost the same asian style wings the other day with only a few changes: I didn't think to add garlic and will have to think of it next time. I used salt, black pepper, light soy, dark soy, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, toasted sesame oil, a dash of rice wine, a squirt of ketchup and some plum sauce. It was five pounds of wings and I left them to marinate in a bag overnight. Cooked them in oven at 325 degrees for half an hour, turning once, then finished off in broiler at 375 degrees, turning once.
My uncle's Hawaiian-style sesame-garlic battered deep-fried wings are the best I've ever had... unfortunately his recipe went with him to heaven...
My current favorite is Kyochon Korean-style fried wings... a Korea-based chain that has recently started up operations here in LA...
I always used to choose "garlic" wings over Buffalo-style at The Distillery in Rochester, they are really great but I could never get the owner to part with the recipe - it was close to classic buffalo wings plus chopped garlic but with something special there that I could never figure out.