I picked up some green garlic at the farmer's market today. Any suggestions on recipes to fully utilize their flavor? They smell wonderful but I'm not quite sure what to do with them.
If you have the ones that look like "green onions" as opposed to garlic scapes, then I have simply sliced them up in any saute or stir-fry. My first experience with them was in a fresh salsa. Food process with good canned tomato, chipotles in adobo, lime and maybe a touch of sugar. Salt to taste. Let rest so flavors settle. With home fried corn tortilla chips or purchased fresh from a resto- a meal in itself.
Green Garlic Soup
For this recipe you'll need 2 bunches (6-8 stalks) of green garlic:
* Cut off the tough green tops and cut the remaining shoots into thin rounds.
* Sauté the green garlic rounds in 2 TBS butter for about 10 minutes over a slow flame.
* Wash 3 small white potatoes and cut them into pieces (do not peel).
* Place the potatoes and sautéed green garlic in a sauce pan and add 3 cups of chicken broth.
* Cook covered for about 30 minutes.
* In small batches in your blender, puree the soup until it is smooth like velvet.
* Return the puree to the saucepan and add more broth if it is too thick.
* Add salt and pepper and reheat.
* When hot, add 2-3 TBS white wine vinegar and serve.