Green Garlic Soup
For this recipe you'll need 2 bunches (6-8 stalks) of green garlic:
* Cut off the tough green tops and cut the remaining shoots into thin rounds.
* Sauté the green garlic rounds in 2 TBS butter for about 10 minutes over a slow flame.
* Wash 3 small white potatoes and cut them into pieces (do not peel).
* Place the potatoes and sautéed green garlic in a sauce pan and add 3 cups of chicken broth.
* Cook covered for about 30 minutes.
* In small batches in your blender, puree the soup until it is smooth like velvet.
* Return the puree to the saucepan and add more broth if it is too thick.
* Add salt and pepper and reheat.
* When hot, add 2-3 TBS white wine vinegar and serve.
If you have the ones that look like "green onions" as opposed to garlic scapes, then I have simply sliced them up in any saute or stir-fry. My first experience with them was in a fresh salsa. Food process with good canned tomato, chipotles in adobo, lime and maybe a touch of sugar. Salt to taste. Let rest so flavors settle. With home fried corn tortilla chips or purchased fresh from a resto- a meal in itself.