HOME > Chowhound > All New England Archive >
Brewing beer, curing meat, or making cheese? Get great advice

Dinner on the way to the Casinos

Ima Foodie Feb 7, 2008 09:05 AM

Any recommendations for something en route from Fairfield to Mohegan Sun? Would prefer to go somewhere other than New Haven.

  1. f
    femmedeau Mar 5, 2008 04:43 PM

    In Branford on the green, a town favorite,Pasta Cosi has opened in a sophisticated setting. They serve lunch as well and the Italian choices, including their homemade pastas are excellent.
    Cafe Routier in Westbrook on Rte.1 is also excellent.

    1. e
      ElizabethHenton Mar 3, 2008 09:01 AM

      Branford: Foe
      Guilford: Quatros
      Clinton: taste of China
      Westbrook: Cafe Routier
      Old Saybrook: Liv's oyster Bar
      Chester: River Tavern
      Mystic: Azu

      2 Replies
      1. re: ElizabethHenton
        Sean Mar 3, 2008 10:50 AM

        Downtown Mystic is very scenic and offers a number of restaurants ranging from fast food to fine dining.

        1. re: ElizabethHenton
          DonShirer Mar 5, 2008 03:53 PM

          Good list. I would add
          Westbook: Pazzo
          Westbrook: Boom (marina location reopens in April)
          Old Lyme: Boom (yes there's one here too)
          Old Saybrook: Jack's American Bistro (changing name to Jack's Steakhouse)
          East Lyme: Flanders Fish House
          (re a previous post--I agree about Seahorse, don't be put off by facade)

        2. c
          Ctcomfort Feb 16, 2008 10:50 AM

          Hideaway in Lyme or Seahorse in Noank- both great food, casual, reasonable $$

          1. c
            chowmensch Feb 13, 2008 02:08 PM

            I recommend Boom in Old Lyme. I think it's exit 70 off 95...easy on and off and excellent food. No water view like their late lamented Stonington restaurant or their sister eatery in Westbrook but very good cuisine and service. A little past the turnoff for Mohegan is Seahorse in Noank. Looks like a dive from the outside but they do a nice job with both seafood and beef dishes and their price range is what you're looking for.

            1. n
              nelsonJ Feb 12, 2008 10:20 AM

              Try the New Deal in Westbrook, always a good meal.

              1. cheereeo Feb 9, 2008 08:32 AM

                I enjoy Vinnie's Saybrook Fish House in Old Saybrook--www.vinniesfishhouse.com--its a little drive off I-95 but not bad to hop back on. For laid back if you are craving fried food, I enjoy Flanders Fish Market, www.flandersfish.com and it is easy-off, easy-on.

                3 Replies
                1. re: cheereeo
                  Redstone Feb 9, 2008 11:24 AM

                  Vinnie's is closed. Has been for about a month. They claim it's just for a few months, but nobody around here (Old Saybrook) expects that they'll actually re-open.


                  1. re: Redstone
                    cheereeo Mar 3, 2008 08:37 AM

                    /SARCASM - - Wonderful, just wonderful - - - /SARCASM and I bought a $100 gift certificate for my niece at Christmas - - So I guess she is now S-O-L. Does anyone know what you do when a place closes and you have a gift certificate there?

                    1. re: cheereeo
                      JayCT Mar 3, 2008 11:45 AM

                      I think you can connect the Attorney General's office. I know he made a big deal over the closing of some restaurants in Manchester recently and how consumers can get refunds on their Gift Certificates. Jay

                2. EastRocker Feb 8, 2008 09:26 AM

                  Lenny's in Branford has good New England seafood basics, casual but not dumpy

                  The Old Griswold Inn in Essex is chock full of charm and does some fun takes on traditional american cuisine. http://www.griswoldinn.com/Low_index.htm

                  1 Reply
                  1. re: EastRocker
                    Earle Feb 8, 2008 11:58 AM

                    I am going to send you some websites of places along the way. (http://newhaven.chowbaby.com/restaura...) Hope this helps you in some small way.I cant recomend any of them, Except Lennie and Joe's Fishtail in madison,very rustic and good fresh seafood. Good luck.. Earle Ct.

                  2. m
                    madisoneats Feb 8, 2008 03:25 AM

                    Branford has a lot of good choices and is convenient off 95N. All of these are accessible from exit 54:
                    Darbar-- great Indian
                    Yooki Yama- Inventive Japanese/Korean
                    Tenderloin-steak, American

                    In Guilford, exit 58:
                    Som Siam-Thai
                    Stone House-- seafood, American, beautiful water location

                    1. m
                      madisoneats Feb 7, 2008 11:39 AM

                      price/cuisine? there is a lot on the shoreline

                      1 Reply
                      1. re: madisoneats
                        Ima Foodie Feb 7, 2008 12:38 PM

                        cuisine is wide open. As for price, maybe $15-$22 range for entrees? Basically something casual and nice but not overly pricey. Thanks!

                      Show Hidden Posts