Anybody have a good recipe for spiced nuts?
Got a crockpot? These practically cook themselves and they're very good:
Crockpot Sugared Pecans & Walnuts
1 pound Pecans or Walnut pieces
1/2 cup Unsalted butter - melted
1/2 cup Powdered sugar
1/4 tsp Allspice - ground
1/8 tsp Cloves - ground
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon - ground
1/4 tsp Ginger - ground
- - Preheat crockpot on high for 15 minutes.
- - First, in preheated crockpot stir the walnuts (or pecans) and butter until
- - Add the powdered sugar, stirring to coat evenly.
- - Cover and slow-cook on high for 15 minutes.
- - Reduce the heat to low and slow cook, UNCOVERED, stirring occasionally until the nuts are coated with a crisp glaze (should be about 2 hours.)
- - Transfer the nuts to a bowl.
- - In another small bowl, combine the spices and sift them over the nuts,
stirring to coat evenly.
- - Let cool before serving.
I just made these for a Mardi Gras party, and they were divine! Not too sweet, just a hint of spice. They were completely devoured. Easy too, about 15 minutes of work total.
Based on a recipe from Crescent City Cooking by Susan Spicer
1 c pecan halves
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Preheat oven to 325.
Mix pecans, sugar, salt, and cayenne together. In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the pecan mixture and Worcestershire sauce and toss to coat evenly. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and bake for 7-10 min. Cool completely on the baking sheet, then loosen with a metal spatula (or better yet, use a nonstick baking sheet or a sheet of parchment paper, much easier to remove). Store in an airtight jar or else they'll get sticky.
I love the spiced nuts with sugared bacon that was in the New York Times a few months ago. The spices are a little different (cardomon (sp), cumin, a bit of cinnamon and allspice, a few others). The spices go perfectly with the bacon. People go wild for this.
Here's the link: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage...
These are from Union Square Cafe in NYC. They are easy and just wonderful:
UNION SQUARE BAR NUTS
1 1/4 lb assorted unsalted nuts
2 T rosemary chopped
1/2 t cayenne
2 t dark brown sugar
2 t koser salt
1 T melted butter
- Preheat over to 350
- Toss nuts and spread them out on a cookie sheet – toast about 10 minutes
- In a large bowl, combine other ingredients
- Toss warm nuts with butter mixture and serve warm