Too much shredded chicken, now what?
- aussiewonder Feb 4, 2008 09:42 AM
I have an EXCESS - think catering tray's worth - of shredded chicken leftover from a party on Saturday. I just made a double batch of Mexican Chicken Tortilla soup and a Pot Pie with some of it but still have plenty left. Other than chicken soups, any Hounders have other suggestions? I already gave some away to friends but i'm floundering here.
I just posted this recipe for "Smokey Chipotle Chicken and Quinoa" hotdish in another thread. This recipe just won the "hotdish" recipe for St. Paul's winter carnival festival. I modified the "winning" recipe to use only 1 TBSP olive oil instead of 3 and to use fat free cheddar and fat free sour cream (to make it weight watchers friendly), but you can easily unmodify it. We really liked it--even with the modifications I made--and I think it would be fantastic with REAL cheese... And, yeah, you'd want to at least double the recipe I posted...
Jfood made his favorite chicken pot pie this weekend with chicken left over from a couple of pots of chicken soup.
Left over chicken
1 onion diced
6 T butter
1/ 3 C flour
2 ½ C chicken broth
1 16oz pkg peas, carrots, corn and beans
Pepperidge Farm puff pastry (One sheet)
Salt & Pepper
Pennzy’s Old World Seasoning
· Begin to defrost the puff pastry. This will take about 40 minutes
· Heat stock in a pot until simmering
· Melt butter in sided 10-12” pan and cooked onions over medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
· Add flour and continue to cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat for 2 minutes, until you obtain a blondish color.
· Add simmering stock in several batches to mixture, whisk after each until smooth. Season with ~1teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon Old World Seasoning
· Remove from heat and add chicken, and vegetables. Mix completely.
· Place in Pyrex baking dish
· Place Puff pastry on top of a baking sheet that has been sprayed with Pam
· Bake at 350 degrees on two differetn shelves in the oven for 40-45 minutes until pastry is golden brown
Pulled chicken sandwiches - mix with bbq sauce and serve on kaiser buns (or slices of white bread if that's how you roll).