Pandora, here is the recipe I use...I omit the dates just b/c I'm lazy. It doesn't taste too different to me than the ones you can buy in Chinese grocery stores but there's something more satisfying about homemade (plus it's super easy)!
Chinese New Year’s Cake
3 Chinese dried red dates
5 slabs brown candy, 11 oz
3 t vegetable oil
7 c glutinous rice flour
1 T white sesame seeds
1 lg egg
1. Soak red dates 30 min, remove pits
2. Cut each slab brown candy into 8 pcs, place in bowl, pour 2 c boiling water over, set aside until dissolved and cooled.
3. Grease an 8” round straight-sided dish/pan with oil.
4. Mix cold sugar water with flour. Knead dough in bowl, adding an additional 1/3 c cold water until smooth, slightly moist and shiny, 5-10 min.
5. Pat dough into dish, garnish with dates and sesame seeds, coat lightly with oil.
6. Steam 35-40 min on high heat. Cake is done when it pulls away from sides of pan. Pour off excess liquid. Cool at room temp overnight.
7. Cut into strips, ¼” thick. Dip in egg, fry 2-3 min/side.