Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Jan 31, 2008 09:16 AM

Muffin tins for English Muffins

Muffins are big and there are thousands of muffin tins out there. But I haven't been able to find the 'real' open top and bottom vertical sided muffin tins for making English Muffins. The kind where you let the dough rise in the tin, then move onto a heated surface to cook and then turn, so the the upper and lower surfaces are different levels of airiness.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
    1. Hi Shallots,

      Sorry, looks like their unavailable right now from the website I suggested. However, they look to be pretty similar to normal biscuit cutters, if that stimulates your imagination.

      1. I bought some on line. I forget the site. They're for English muffins and crumpets. So far I've made crumpets with them _ yum. You could Google "crumpet ring." That way you'd get fewer extraneous hits.

        1. You could cut the bottoms out of tuna (or similar) cans.

          5 Replies
          1. re: ricepad

            Not if they have those stupid rounded bottoms, like most tuna cans do now. Or those silly pull top lids that leaves a 1/4" rim around the edge.

            BTW- I found small, wide cans of pineapple at WalMart that had normal can end top & bottom. It took some doing to find the right type of cans- even cat food cans have switched to a rounded, unopenable bottom. Another helpful tip is to use a can opener that cuts the entire top off, so there is nothing to catch your muffins on when you go to remove them.

            You can also look for egg and/or pancake rings. Soon after I bought a dozen cans of WalMart pineapple, someone gave me a couple sets similar to this: The ones I have, the handle completely removed, so I could use the rings separately- not sure about the one at Amazon, but it at least give you an idea of what to look for.

            1. re: anniemax

              Once upon a time, I did the tuna fish cans (back when they didn't have the rounded bottoms). Mr. Shallots can't understand why I can't use just any old can, but I want to do it right, and use the right tool for the right result. (Even if catfood didn't have the round bottoms, I don't think I could get past the memory of smell - too many cats demanding really stinky cat food for too many years).
              eefoodgeek, thank you for the crumpet ring suggestion. I'd always heard of crumpets, but didn't know anything about them (like their being round) and crumpet ring led to some leads on amazon (all of which cost more for shipping that the item themselves.)
              I think Williams Sonoma might be the place, if they have it locally.
              Now back to searching for the difference between crumpets and english muffins.

              1. re: anniemax

                What is the diameter on those pancake rings?

              2. re: ricepad

                I wholeheartedly recommend *AGAINST* using cans as cookware. The materials used in them may not be stable at temperatures over 140 degrees F, or may not be suitable for acidic/basic foods.

              3. I've made english muffins a number of times without using a tin for the rise. I let the dough rise flat, then cut in squares (not so much wasted dough). They rise a little bit more, then go on the griddle as is. They puff up a little when the first hit the griddle, but they don't rise much more after that. They key to keeping them risen is a good coating of cornmeal to keep them from sticking or pulling.

                They don't rise as high as they would in a tin, but I didn't have much more luck than you in finding tins.