HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >

Discussion

Making pizza at home

Can anyone offer any advice on transferring a pizza from a pizza slip to a stone? Our family traditionally prepares it in a well oiled pan, but I can't get the bottom of the crust to crisp up the way my mother does. I'm even using her pan! I have a wooden pizza slip and several stones, but am afraid to mangle the pizza.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
Posting Guidelines | FAQs | Feedback
Cancel
  1. I heat my stone for 30 minutes in a 500 oven and then slide the pizza from the peel to the stone (no pan). I get a very nice crispy and chewy crust

    5 Replies
    1. re: bnemes3343

      I don't know about ushuaia, but my problem is that sliding part you so casually refer to. Short of spending extra money on the Superpeel grampart mentioned (which does look interesting), how in the world do you actually get the pizza to slide off the peel? I've been using TONS of cornmeal and I just can't get it to slide. Sticks to the peel every single time.

      1. re: wawajb

        hmmm. maybe it's my dough? I make a fairly small pizza (about 12" diameter) so maybe that's why I don't have a problem. I also use cornmeal and just give my wrist a quick jerk and off it comes

      2. re: bnemes3343

        Do you also BAKE at 500? And for how long?

        I'm baking at 400. Could that be part of the crisping problem?

        1. re: ushuaia

          Yes, I bake at 500 too. 400 is def. too low. 450 would probably work if your oven doesn't go as high as 500. I bake about 12 - 15 minutes, but I check by lifting the edge of the crust up with set of long tongs to look for a nice brown crust (I also use them to 'loosen' the pizza in case some cheese has overflown onto the stone)

          1. re: bnemes3343

            Thanks!

      3. For the easiest solution to your problem, I suggest a Superpeel. Check it out here and be sure to watch the short video demo. http://www.superpeel.com/

        1. One solution is put a piece of parchment paper on your peel and build the pizza on top of it. When you want to transfer it to the oven, just pull the edge of the parchment from the peel to the stone. The parchment can hold up in the heat, although the edges might get a bit brown. I do this quite a bit and it always works. Don't forget to heat the pizza stone for a good 30 minutes before transferring the pizza. It really helps to get a crispy crust.

          1. YES! wawajb, we're on the same page. The "sliding" part, last time I attempted it, resulted in something that looked like a cross between an ugly calzone and an ugly stromboli. I've been terrified to try it again, as it takes time to make your dough and create your pizza, and I hate to have that wasted! Thank you for your input everyone! Bnemes, what is your dough recipe? Maybe it is different than mine? Grampart, thank you for that superpeel link! And elc515, does the dough still crisp nicely even with the parchment below it?

            1. OMG, I've had some crazy mishmash pizzas trying to get them off that peel and onto the stone. But practice makes perfect, though I am far from perfect I'm getting better.

              It seems to be all about the sharp wrist movement to slide it forward and a marginally slower pull back. BUT you have to make sure there is no stickage before hand. I usually use lots of coarse cornmeal, not too heavy on the toppings and give a little pre oven slide around the peel to make sure everything is moving.

              And no fear, you've just got to go for it. And mangled pizza usually tastes as good as non mangled...

              4 Replies
              1. re: Mila

                Parchment paper! Form your pizza on parchment. Then slide the parchment on to the stone. It does not interfere with the crust crisping at all. It works beautifully.

                1. re: Becca Porter

                  You can slide the dough, on the parchment, right onto the heated stone and cook it without any burning? That's awesome.

                  1. re: Hensley

                    I trim the parchment so it's just slightly larger than the pizza but leave a little extra "handle" on one side that I can pull. It darkens but hasn't burned. I do the same for bread.

                    1. re: chowser

                      NICE! I'm all over it. I'll let you know how it goes!

              2. I also use parchment. Just as crispy, and no cornmeal all over the place!

                Transfering a pizza to a stone in the oven is one of those things that requires a moment of confidence. I always make sure my wrist is loose by jerking the peel back and forth a teeny bit to get the pizza moving, then line up the far side of the pizza, and QUICKLY, pull the peel out. Works 98% of the time. The other 2% usually involve the smoke alarm...;~)