Whole Wheat Pumpkin Biscotti Recipe
(caveat: I'm no good at writing down recipes) Adapted from elise.com/recipes (one of my favorite food blogs!).
whole wheat flour 2 cups
baking powder 1.5 tsp
salt 1/2 tsp
brown sugar 1/4 cup
Splenda 1/2 cup
eggs, extra large 2
vanilla extract 1.5 tsp
almond extract 1 tsp
star anise dash
pumpkin puree, canned 1/2 cup
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Sift together all dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the wet ingredients. Add this to the dry ingredients, and mix until it just comes together. Mixture will be slightly crumbly, but will hold together well.
4. Shape into a large, flat log with a slight hump in the middle. It should be about 1/2" thick. Alternatively, you can shape into smaller logs, or even make into cookies. Reduce baking time to about 20 minutes for the smaller biscotti, and about 15 minutes for the cookies, or until you get the degree of crispiness that you like.
5. Bake for 25 minutes, take out of oven, and let cool.
6. Slice on the diagonal, place biscotti on their sides, and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until as crispy as you like.
These will store well in airtight containers for about 9 days.
Yields 12 regular sized biscotti, 24 small
The recipe holds dried fruit and nut additions really well. I've done craisins, almonds, and pistachio (yeah, the last one wasn't so great). I never experienced any problems when using white sugar instead of Splenda. I've also subbed honey for the Splenda, but don't know how much I used -- just added until I got a familiar texture with the dough.