Shrimp and Alligator Cheesecake [Split from New Orleans board]
[Split from this thread: http://www.chowhound.com/topics/125730]
Not sure if it will post it all here, but here's is my recipe for the shrimp and alligator cheesecake:
Alligator Sausage and Shrimp Cheesecake
Servings : 12
Yeild : 1 Pie
1 1/3 Cup Plain Bread Crumbs
2/3 Parmesean Cheese (I recommend you grate this yourself)
4 oz. unsalted butter (melted…slowly – don’t let it break)
1 ½ pounds Cream Cheese – softened
3-4 eggs (use 3 if they are really large 4 if they are smaller)
2/3 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1/3 Cup Smoked Gouda Cheese (Grated)
1 Medium Onion (diced)
½ ea. Green Bell Pepper finely diced
½ ea. Yellow Bell Pepper finely diced
½ ea. Red Bell Pepper finely diced
½ pound Alligator Sausage.Diced (You can sub Andouille or smoked sausage if you can’t find Alli)
1/3 Can Green Chilli Peppers diced (I use the 4oz cans)
½ Pound Gulf Shrimp diced
Pinch of Salt
½ Tbs. Fajita Majic (or any other Southwest Fajita Seasoning)
½ Tbs. Chipotle powder
1. Mix breadcrumbs and Parm cheese, add melted butter and mix well. Press into a 10 or 12 inch spring form cheesecake pan. Bake 10 min in a 400 degree preheated oven.
2. Whisk cream cheese until smooth, add eggs, whisk, add heavy cream and Grated Gouda. And set aside.
3. Sautee vegetables with spices until soft. Pour off excess liquid if any. Add shrimp and cook until just done. Add Sausage and chili peppers and cook for 1 min. Fold this into cream cheese mixture. When done – pour this into the spring-form pan. (Wrap foil around the pan to prevent leakage)
4. Bake in a water bath (a 2 inch hotel pan filled approx 1/3) in a 450 degree oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
5. Remove from oven when and inserted knife is clean and the filling is set. Cool to cut
6. Remove from spring form pan – unlatch and VERY slowly twist as you lift – it should come right off with minimum tearing. Cut into 12 pieces.