Buried Treasure - what would you do? [Moved from Home Cooking board]
We moved in about 6 months ago and are still putting some things away :-)
In a storage cupboard which is under the house, we discovered some jars of fruit preserves from 1999. They look fine and still sealed, and one we popped open (plums) smells divine!
Anyone know what risk we might be taking by trying these? If they smell and look OK,
what could be lurking?
As long as you're sure that the seal is intact and there aren't any strange smells or floaties, I'd say it's safe. If the seal popped, I'm pretty sure you'd have some mold in there. Botulism is your main concern with canned goods and if air has been getting in there, the live bacteria is dead, since oxygen is toxic to botulism. I wouldn't advise giving it to young children, though, just in case and if you really want to, you can heat a portion before eating it.
I'd have to say, toss. You don't know anything about the mind set of the people who preserved them nor do you know what methods were used or what may or may have not been addded. The potential reward is just not worth the potential punishment.