Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Greater Boston Area >
Dec 15, 2007 12:29 PM

Chocolate candy coating?

Could anyone tell me where I could find chocolate candy coating? It's a baking product, and Eagle Brand is the one that I'm familiar with. I tried calling multiple grocery stores, and the best luck I had was with Whole Foods, but they quoted me $18.99/lb over the phone. WAAAAAY more than what I'm looking for...

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I would be surprised if Whole Foods carried this! Is this that Wilton 'chocolate' stuff you can find at any AC Moore or Michael's?

    1. do you mean for chocolate dipping like chocolate covered strawberries? if so, SHAWS (brighton, and im sure the others as well) definitly has a ton in the fruit section near the berries. i always go there. its not gourmet chocolate and its milk chocolate (and i prefer dark). did you try trader joes?

      2 Replies
      1. re: kweesee

        I've been dipping stuff (like cookies) in the semisweet Pound Plus chocolate from Trader Joe's. It's actually a really good brand (can't remember which exactly), but repackaged for TJs, and it's cheap (and delicious).

        1. re: pamalamb

          I think it's Callebaut. Those bars are one of the best bargains ever.

      2. What are you going to use this for? Is there a reason you can't just use melted chocolate? Not trying to be snarkey, just want to understand the request.

        There's a product called Dolci Frutta that most major grocery stores sell, often in the produce section near the strawberries or other dippable fruits. You just zap in the microwave at 30 second intervals and stir in between zaps. I've used it many times before to dip strawberries, grapes, works well, but is a bit sweeter and milkier tasting than I like. Now that I'm comfortable working with real chocolate, I prefer to just use that.

        3 Replies
        1. re: Aloo0628

          It's not to dip things in, it's to make candy with. The chocolate candy coating, or "bark" or "baking blocks" as it's sometimes called, has paraffin in it unlike regular chocolate. You can see what I'm looking for here:

          1. re: bvmk

            Like the chocolate circles that come in different colors? That's what the Dolci Frutta is. You can also get those in most party stores.

            I usually just add some paraffin to regular chocolate. Paraffin blocks are available at most supermarkets, as well as craft and party stores.

            1. re: bvmk

              what you are looking for is the same as what both aloo0628 and i were describing - DOLCI FRUTTA. it is not dipping like fondue dipping, but to coat things like straberries, cookies or anything just like the eagle brand one you are looking for. check it out in any big grocery store. i am sure trader joes will have a couple of their versions as well.

          2. Thanks everyone! I think I'll either try the dolci frutta stuff, or adding paraffin to regular chocolate. :-)

            1. I am an avid chocolate maker and just don't understand why you would add paraffin to chocolate. I strive to find the purest of chocolate to use for my candy treats and stay away from the chocolate disk melt stuff that adds paraffin. Am I missing something other than awful tasting chocolate coatings on things?

              1 Reply
              1. re: MeffaBabe

                Adding wax changes the melting point of the chocolate. That means it's less likely to get overheated and lose structural integrity, sets faster, and is less likely to melt in your hand when eating the candy. The taste difference is noticable, but I have had a hard time trying to use melted regular chocolate in the past.