HOME > Chowhound > Ontario (inc. Toronto) >

Fondue or Chinese Hotpot cooking fuel

ericdunn Dec 12, 2007 02:45 PM


I'm looking for a alcohol-based liqulid fuel (denatured alcohol) that's used to cook a Chinese hotpot or a fondue.

Does anyone know what's exactly called? Where can I buy a product like this in Toronto?
I already called Homedepot and they don't seem to have something like this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Below is a pic of the burner. Liqulid fuel is put in the container and lid with the cotton ball on top.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. t
    TwinklyTerrapin RE: ericdunn Dec 12, 2007 07:57 PM

    Try a smaller hardware store, like Home Hardware, or a cooking store. I've also found it at the grocery store.

    1. j
      jessicaxo RE: ericdunn Dec 12, 2007 08:02 PM

      I have found it at Canadian Tire (I think in the section with matches and Coleman stoves) and also at the grocery store (also in the matches section, often with the aluminum pie plates).

      1. Mike from Hamilton RE: ericdunn Dec 13, 2007 03:39 AM

        Of all places, Dollarama sells burner fuel for fondue pots, etc. It can be found in the section with their cooking wares...

        1. b
          bluedog RE: ericdunn Dec 13, 2007 05:38 AM

          Tap Phong on Spadina sells them, as do most chinese houseware stores.

          1. c
            cat RE: ericdunn Dec 13, 2007 07:24 AM


            alternatively you can pick up a hot pot burner at any chinese grocery store....T n T is where we bought ours.....for like $20 bucks, comes with the burner/grill and butane. And the butane refills can be bought at any grocery store as well.

            1. c
              caitlink RE: ericdunn Dec 13, 2007 08:00 PM

              All Chinese supermarkets will have the canisters. T&T. Or any Chinese supermarket in Markham.

              1 Reply
              1. re: caitlink
                ekammin RE: caitlink Dec 14, 2007 05:43 PM

                In my experience, many hardware stores sell bottles of it, called, logically enough, "fondue fuel".

              Show Hidden Posts