HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

Skillet, with ridged bottom : what do you use them for?

jword2001 Dec 8, 2007 04:46 PM

I have been given a large well made skillet,I guess you would call it, but it is about 4" deep, and the bottom is not smooth, it has ridges, or a bunch of small rings if you will , what is the intended use for a pan like this?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. m
    mpalmer6c RE: jword2001 Dec 8, 2007 10:38 PM

    Hard to say without more info. What's the interior finish? Cast iron, enameled cazst iron, non-stick? What's the brand?

    1. i
      Isabella RE: jword2001 Dec 9, 2007 02:49 PM

      Sounds like it is for grilling meat, say a steak for instance, and the grease drops down into the ridges. I'd like to see a picture of this tho, as I am not sure I am hitting on exactly what it looks like. Brand name would be very helpful as well as material it is made of as already suggested.

      1. Quine RE: jword2001 Dec 9, 2007 03:02 PM

        It is hard to say without seeing a picture or knowing what material the pan is. But a cast irom skillet like that is great for Indoors grilling. Get that hot sear, cause the cast iron can get that hot and the ridges, have the valleys that keep grease away. If it ain't cast iron, the high heat ability is lost and so value of use is greatly decreased. IMO

        1. m
          Mothership RE: jword2001 Dec 9, 2007 03:29 PM

          Are they large ridges like those in a grill pan or are they very small (and not very deep)rings like those in Circulon (non-stick) cookware?

          2 Replies
          1. re: Mothership
            jword2001 RE: Mothership Dec 11, 2007 09:07 AM

            ridgesare very small, surface appears to be non stick, it is definetly not cast iron, i dont have a digital camera or i would post a pic, sorry, but thanks for all the info.

            1. re: jword2001
              mpalmer6c RE: jword2001 Dec 11, 2007 09:43 AM

              It's a Circulon or close facsimile. Use it as yoiu would any non-stick. The ridges are supposed to give some sort of advantage that I can't remeber.

          2. r
            RGC1982 RE: jword2001 Dec 11, 2007 09:13 AM

            Are the rings on the interior of the pan, or exterior?

            3 Replies
            1. re: RGC1982
              jword2001 RE: RGC1982 Dec 15, 2007 04:24 PM

              interior, they are the cooking surface.

              1. re: jword2001
                Gio RE: jword2001 Dec 15, 2007 04:36 PM

                Sounds to me like an ordinary indoor grill pan. Can be used for any food that you would ordinarily cook on an outdoor grill..... various meats, sausages, vegetables...fruit. Experiment.

                1. re: jword2001
                  fourunder RE: jword2001 Dec 15, 2007 04:38 PM

                  From the descriptions you have provided, it sound to me like this is a non-stick type of frypan. The rings, ridges or circles of the pan means there are actually two surfaces, one higher than the other, correct? If this is so, the reason for the two different surfaces level is the premise less surface area for contact means less surface for food to stick to. There are other versions, such as pans with dimples(like on golf balls) to achieve the same desired results.

                  If I am wrong about any of this, I apologize in advance.

              2. e
                Etcetera RE: jword2001 Dec 16, 2007 06:02 PM

                I owned one of these pans for a while. It was essentially worthless as a cooking tool, but did a fine job as a meat pounder <jk>.

                AFAIK, the ridges are set to minimize contact between food and pan further reducing "stick". The ridges were not deep enough to keep meat out of its own juices which kept it from being a good grill pan. I recalled seeing someone cook eggs in this type of pan, so I gave that a try. This was followed by an hour elbows deep in warm soapy water with a toothpick to clean the ridges.

                My advice is to ditch it!


                Show Hidden Posts