Delicious Digestifs: Where to Go?
Here's my modest attempt at a Manhattan list. Suggestions would be much appreciated.
"Fave 5 Happy Endings: When more and more intense alcohol seems like a good idea"
1) Marc (Daniel): Hard to find Marc at all, especially this good and well-priced. Great light for lingering in the afterglow. Gracious service may help nudge you over the abyss, i.e. a second. See M.F.K. Fisher on what happens if you order the third!
2) High-end Grappa (Alto): Best 25 dollars I’ve spent on liquor. The oak-aged grappa was profound and complex and memorable and worth sharing. I’d take the oaked grappa over añejo or aged rum any day.
3) House-made hooch grappa (Otto): Fun flavors, relatively cheap and served with Señor Frog’s Cancún flair. This is a digestivo that doesn’t take itself seriously.
4) Blue Smoke Bourbon (Blue Smoke): Helps settle the barbecue, but beware when you settle the tab–it’ll set you back 25 bucks or so.
5) Deli-coffee and Gramercy Tavern thank-you muffin at 3AM: Best way to fight off the cold-sweats after knocking back the seven-course menu with cheese supplement. A seltzer chaser helps as well.
And a recurring question of mine: Where can I get Orujo? Doesn't seem available anywhere in the City, even clandestinely.
More entries on post-prandial libations. Oddly enough, Michael Jordan's at Grand Central pours a good and generous Calvados. Obviously the Lexington Bar&Books and Brandy Libraries of the world have a broader and deeper selection, but I'm interested less in where you would go for after dinner drinks than where you would stay for after dinner drinks.