Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Dec 6, 2007 11:04 AM

Wood Framed "Strainer" - what's it called!

Simple question, on Iron Chef sometimes you see them using a fine mesh strainer of sorts that's flat and has a wooden frame on it, and they use a spatula to push food through. I can't recall the exact name of that device, can anyone provide that?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I have not seen one used on Iron Chef, but your description sounds like the round sieves we used to use in bakery classes to sift ingredients. Here is one at Amazon...

    2 Replies
    1. re: LabRat

      Most likely you're talking about a tamis/drum sieve. Try JB Prince or Previn.

    2. A tamis is what you want. I've been looking for one for sometime, and can't get over how expensive they are. They seem like they should be cheap.

      1. Yes! tamis/drum sieve is exactly it...circular wooden frame, not boxed :D Thanks!

        4 Replies
        1. re: Bunson

          If you find one cheap, let me know.

          1. re: vanillagorilla

            Has anyone had any luck finding a reasonably price tamis online?

            1. re: chickster

              Try - they have one on sale for $20 - they have several sizes available - I believe they are Quebec based

              1. re: toronto gigi

                I picked up one from Placewares in St. Lawrence Market - it was $22 and stainless steel and made in Italy. It worked wonders to make Robouchon mashed potatoes.

        2. If you are near a Japanese dollar store in the US (Daiso or Ichibankan), you may find small ones (6-7 inches dia., metal frame) for $1.50. I doubt they are strong enough for serious work but are probably fine for sifting flour and light tasks. Occasionally, you might also find better quality but still reasonably priced ones (say $10) in the housewares sections of some Japanese supermarkets. And of course, it's worth trying other asian supermarkets too.