This a a recipe I adapted and added to over the years. It has a rich flavor from the sausage. Whenever I serve it, everyone wants the recipe.
1 pound hot Italian sausage
1 pound mild Italian sausage
1 chopped red onion
3 carrots, chopped
1 zucchini, sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 quarts chicken broth
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon dried basil
¼ cup Zinfandel
2 cups bowtie pasta
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup freshly shaved parmesan cheese
1. Squeeze sausages from casings into a large pan. (You can also look for sausage not in casings and make it even easier.) Cook until brown and crumbly, approximately 10 minutes. Discard fat.
2. Add carrots, onion, zucchini, and garlic. Cook for about 6 minutes until onions are soft.
3. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, basil, and Zinfandel. Bring to a boil.
4. Add pasta. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes until pasta is tender.
5. Add salt and pepper. Serve into bowls and top with parmesan cheese.
This will make 12 servings.