Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > U.K./Ireland >
Dec 2, 2007 09:39 AM

UK Kitchen Measuring- Cups, Spoons, Scales

Am looking for a way to purchase these items.They will be used (if I ever get my hands on them) for baking recipes found in some old UK based cookbooks I have. I am not interested in converting UK to US. I simply want to open my cupboard, pull out my UK scales, measuring cups and spoons like a UK home cook would do with UK recipes. I have tried in vain to find a UK store that targets UK buyers. Now that I have overused UK, can you provide any information to help me seek out and purchase these items? Note: can not ship these items here due to "geographical restrictions".

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
    1. re: loobcom

      Thank you. I checked and does not have the items I need. I did search further and ended up E-Mailing Salter about where I could buy the exact brand and model I need. I will keep trying.

      1. re: Louisiana Lady

        Have you tried the Nigella Lawson range of kitchen utensils? They used to have them at Macy's, I don't know if they still do. I have them in my kitchen because they have both UK and US measurements printed on them (one US cup = 250 UK grams, etc.). Also, you can find a cheap set of imperial/metric measuring implements at Ikea. Additionally, most good scales will have both metric and imperial measurements on them.

        In my baking experience in the UK, I haven't found "UK measuring cups and spoons" anywhere. Like, you won't find a British recipe that calls for "one cup of sugar." I brought my own baking cups and measuring spoons with me from the US and convert the measurements. Usually works out right. My British husband (an accomplished baker) uses scales and a Pyrex liquid measuring jug almost exclusively, or eyeballs liquid measurements using our regular kitchen spoons. Which as I said, usually comes out right.

        1. re: sloepoke

          I would be careful about that. I have both the Nigella spoons and some US spoons, and they're not the same! It took me a while to figure out why some of my recipes, particularly for quick breads, were coming out wrong.

          However, the Nigella cups I have (bought in the UK) are exactly the same sizes as my American ones.

          Also, there's a difference between old UK cups and the current cup measurement. I mention this because the OP said "old UK-based cookbooks."

          1. re: Kagey

            I have a feeling that all of us Americans have problem baking in England when we first get here. Who knew?!?! People also have to figure out about the difference types of flour.

            1. re: Kagey

              yeah, you're not wrong about that. the nigella spoons are HUGE!!!! you could fit a teacup poodle in the tablespoon measure. but i'm used to it, and now can use both my american and uk recipes easily. if only i could get the old german ones to work....

              also... thanks for correcting me. i didn't realize there was a difference between old uk cups and current ones. i've only been here since 2000 and my husband (a math whiz) converts the measurements i don't understand for me ;)

              1. re: sloepoke

                Yes, I think what caused me a lot of agita was the bigger spoons combined with the similar cups. Then it dawned on me that, like someone else said, UK recipes don't use the cups to measure flour--they measure flour by weight. Now it all makes sense to me, and I just use my UK spoons with my UK cookbooks. And Zuriga is right: there are a lot more types of flour here, from the Italian 00 fine to extra strong. And that's just white flour!

                The cup measure whose name I failed to remember before was the "breakfast cup."

      2. UK recipes are often written in metric nowadays, but some of the old recipes are written in imperial units. These units are similar to US/"English" units, but they're not the same. Lengths/distances, for the most part, are identical in the UK-US, but volumes and weights are different. If you're cooking these differences this may not make a huge difference, but I can imagine it would if you plan to do a lot of baking.

        Therefore I gather what you're looking for are measuring cups & spoons in imperial units. Is that correct? might be a good place to start.

        Also, here's a website I found that explains some of the basic differences between UK/Imperial, US/"Engish", and metric measurements. I'm sure there are other websites out there; this was one of the first I found on Google.

        1. Assuming your recipes are metric, are there any Canadian sites that may be any use? Or do Canadians use "cups" as well?

          1 Reply
          1. re: Brit on a Trip

            We're pretty much anybody's -- we'll use cups, ounces, grams, mililiters, whatever you got. I have Canadian measuring cups which also have the metric equivalent printed on it -- ie., 1/2 cup is 119 ml (or whatever it is. I don't have them in front of me now.)
            I did start weighing everything though and that makes life a lot easier. Having said that, I'm still a completely crap baker.

          2. Thanks to all who responded to my search for IMPERIAL measuring spoons. At considerable money (about 3 times what they are worth if you include all the postage) I found what I wanted, purchased it on a very popular WEB service and as I write this I am sure it is on the way.

            3 Replies
            1. re: Louisiana Lady

              So where exactly did you find them? Because searching on turns up the same spoons we have here (I can tell by the metric equivalents shown).

              1. re: MacGuffin

                Try the Lakeland site - not certain where they ship to but they stock lots of UK baking things - here are measuring spoons:

                1. re: PhilD

                  I did that before posting--I don't like those and I'm going to hazard a guess they're not Imperial (although I'd know for sure if they provided the metric equivalent). Thanks, though.

            2. A company called Tala makes a really good measuring cup which is marked inside for all sorts of different ingredients. For example 8oz of flour is different than 8oz of rice etc. It has liquid and dry ingredients marked. I have three of them and use them a lot. I know Amazon UK sells them but wondered if they might be available at some sort of expat store in the US.

              Found this link - mine are newer versions of this one:-


              1 Reply