Thali New Canaan - Major Hit on Jfood's List
- jfood Dec 1, 2007 03:12 PM
Jfood, to no surprise to many who have eaten in this resto, wholehearted places Thali Restaurant in New Canaan on the “A” List. A group of us ventured in for a great meal the other night
The dishes that Jfood ate and quick feedback:
Loved the following:
- Jinga Manchurian – crisp shrimp served with cilantro garlic marinade. Major hit on Jfood list and receives a 10.
- Thali kalmi kebab – spicy grilled chicken wings from the tandoor. Jfood liked the spice and interestingly the spice was less when the dish cooled a little. Jfood gives this dish an 8.
- Chick Peas – do not know the exact dish but it had a nice sauce with a nice level of spice. Jfood gives this an 8.
Not crazy about:
- Samosas – amchur potatoes and green peas in hand rolled dough. These reminded Jfood of a bland example of a knish in a different shape. Not a lot of flavor. Jfood can only give a 4
- The table ordered Pappadam that was served with mint, mango and tamarind chutney. Jfood liked the flavor a lot and gives this a 9
- Chicken tikka masala – to give you an idea, when everyone stopped eating, Jfood slyly moved the last of this in front of him and enjoyed again with the pappadam. A true 10
- Lamb Biryani – great flavors, great texture and Jfood gives this dish a 10
- Chicken curry – the chicken was tender, not overcooked, even though it was white meat and the curry sauce was great. Another 10.
- Saag Paneer – garlic spinach and cottage cheese cubes with fenugreek. Jfood does not like green food. But this dish was fantastic. The little cubes of cottage cheese were hidden within the spinach and geve a great flavor and texture. Jfood never thought he would give a green dish a 10, but this one deserved it.
The service was attentive, prices of entrees in low $20’s, pelligrino and panna available.
So Thali is now a member of the Jfood power rotation.