Your favorite Apple Pie
Although Thanksgiving is traditionally a time for Pumpkin and Pecan pies.. my family requested an Apple Pie! Do any of you have any suggestions for a great Apple Pie recipe? I plan on making it tomorrow or early Thursday! Thank you, and have a great Thanksgiving :) Remember.. chew 12 times before swallowing..
Scroll down for an outstanding apple pie. The apples are sauteed first so no thickener is needed and the apples don't settle creating that weird space between the apples and the top crust. And because the apples are caramelized first, the flavor is similar to a tarte tatin. The short pastry is a good one, too.
I love this pie. It is extremely rich and a bit sweet, but just wonderful. The crumble top adds a great taste and texture to it (you get both a pie and a crisp all in one). My Step-dad will not let me in the door at holiday time unless I have one of these in hand.
SOUR CREAM-APPLE PIE
5 tart apples, peeled and sliced (I prefer Granny Smith)
1 cup golden raisins
2 T minced candied ginger
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 t. cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
1 t. vanilla
1/3 cup butter
3 T. toasted chopped walnuts
1 unbaked pie crust
- toss apples, raises and ginger together. Arrange in pie crust
- combine sour cream, 1/3 cup brown sugar, white sugar, 3 T. flour, cinnamon, egg and vanilla
- pour mixture over apples
- bake at 400 for 25 minutes
- combine butter, 1/2 cup flour, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar and walnuts
- cover top of pie with this mixture
- reduce oven to 350 and bake 45-55 minutes