Meeting place (coffeeshop?) for a few dozen parents and toddlers?
Help me out, New Yorkers!
We're visiting New York after a few years away and want to arrange a big meetup for our New York friends early evening on a Sunday. Last time we did this, we had it at Bar Veloce in Chelsea, which was great -- the thing is, now most of us have a little kid or two so a bar is probably not the most appropriate meeting space.
Ideally, the place would meet these criteria:
* Big enough for 30-40 people to show up there on a Sunday evening;
* Appropriate place for a bunch of toddlers;
* Lots of high chairs;
* Ideally, a place not oriented around table service, so that people can come and go at will and mingle easily;
* Someplace where people can get some dinner (doesn't have to be fancy, but shouldn't be depressing!)
* Our friends mostly live downtown or on the UWS, with a few in Brooklyn; so someplace somewhere on the West Side of Manhattan is probably best.
If we were doing this here in Madison, we would probably meet up at one of the many big coffeehouses that have lots of couches and tables and sell salads/sandwiches as well as coffee. Do places like this exist in Manhattan? My memory is that most coffee shops are pretty small and I'm not sure if they tend to have high chairs.
Thanks for all help!