Romantic BD dinner in Miami, no Miami Beach, please.
- keysrat Oct 31, 2007 05:11 AM
Looking for a nice spot to take the missus for her birthday.
No Miami Beach, please.
No Miami Beach.... let's see. If weather permits, Red Fish Grill. It is outside and on the water; quiet and nowhere near the beach. Perhaps Jakes Bar; it's intimate and cozy.
If you are referring to Jake's in South Miami then I would steer clear. Not that romantic and very average food. I would say Romeo's Cafe. Small restaurant, chef comes out and asks you about your likes/dislikes and creates a 6 course dinner around each diner's tastes. Azul is beautiful as well.
I must not be a very romantic type, these requests always have me a little flummoxed!
- Red Fish is a great setting but I've always been disappointed in the food.
- Baleen also has a great view but the food is mixed. I had one very disappointing meal there (though it was an event, not the regular restaurant - still it's the same kitchen), though I recently had a nice meal at the sister restaurant in Naples.
- I have not been to Palme d'Or in the Biltmore Hotel in ages, but it's a beautiful hotel and the menu on the website is pretty intriguing. I'd probably take a chance on it for a special occasion meal.
- I have not been but have friends who rave about Romeo's Cafe (on Coral Way) for "omakase" style Italian (no menu, chef makes a 6 course meal supposedly based on diner preferences).
- Pascal's on Ponce is an elegant but not stuffy French place in the Gables.
- I recently went to Le Provencal in the Gables for lunch and was completely charmed. I'll do a short write up in a separate post.
- in North Miami, I really like Timo. Great food, menu changes often, place is modern and classy looking, lots of banquette seating.
Pascal's On Ponce
2611 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Coral Gables, FL 33134
2257 Coral Way, Coral Gables, FL 33145
Red Fish Grill
9610 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables, FL 33156
4 Grove Isle Dr, Coconut Grove, FL
La Palme D'Or
1200 Anastasia Avenue, Coral Gables, FL 33134
Le Provencal Restaurant
266 Miracle Mile, Miami, FL 33134
Ive posted this a hundred times, but Ill say it again. I love Baleen for a romantic date. Food is good (although there are people here who disagree and thats their opinion) and atmosphere is killer. Plus, its a private island so you make a rez and then dont have to be hassled by passerbys, etc. Here's a couple more I listed previously for someone who asked a similar question
Baleen - Grove Isle - Coconut Grove (Great date place, tad pricey, incredible view from outdoor dining deck, even better if full moon, guaranteed to end with some luvin)
French Kiss - Coconut Grove - great food, escargot and duck are the bomb, intimate setting
Ristorante D' Il Frasca - Coconut Grove - authentic Italian (not heavy), intimate setting, eat in or out, nice atmosphere, pop into Christabelle's for a nightcap afterwards.
Tropical Chinese - 79th and Bird (Kendall or S. Miami?) - yes, they do other things besides Dim Sum and they do them very well.
Francesco - Coral Gables - Incredible Peruvian food, intimate setting, must make reservations as its small and fills up fast
Have fun whatever you do!
PS - Hey Fro, how do you do those little dot link things?
re: Blind Mind
I like Tropical but my wife would probably slap me if I took her there for her birthday. It's actually pretty nicely appointed for a Chinese restaurant but not exactly the knd of place I'd pic for a romantic dinner.
The "little dot links" are a product of the "Link to a place" option below the box where you type in your text. Once you've typed your post but before you click "post my reply," click on the "link to a place"; a box will open, type in the name of the restaurant and city, state in "location" (I find using only a part of the name works best as its search mechanism is unpredictable); press search; ideally, your restaurant will then pop up in the list; click it and you're there. If it doesn't come up there's an "Add a Place" button. You'll get a confirming message, then you can click the "post my reply."
Here, watch ->
Tropical Chinese Restaurant
7991 Bird Rd, Miami, FL 33155