HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Do you create unique foods? Share your adventure

I want to make Beef Short Ribs- which should I ask for?

ironmanps Oct 29, 2007 12:49 PM

I want to try my hand at Braised Short Ribs. The slow cooked, fall off the bone, deep flavored kind. Is there a type or style of ribs I should ask the butcher for? I don't care about price. Is there like a "loin end" or a "rump section" or some sort of "further away from the hoofs- the tenderer the meat" rule to use?

  1. l
    luniz Oct 30, 2007 04:15 PM

    Your premise of starting with a tenderer cut of meat doesn't make any sense if you're going to slow cook anyway. Start with the cheapest but hopefully flavorful cut but then braise it for a long time to achieve tenderness. Just don't overcook in under the broiler when you're trying to crisp the exterior. It doesn't make any sense to say you don't care about price, the whole point of this type of cooking is to start with a cheaper cut of meat. At least that's how it seems to me...

    3 Replies
    1. re: luniz
      HaagenDazs Oct 30, 2007 04:20 PM

      Yes to an extent, luniz. In my local Super H Mart the short ribs can be priced around $10 to $12 a pound. These things are pristine and the marbling makes them fit for a king but FYI, just because they are going in a flavorful braise doesn't mean they're super cheap. We're talking short ribs, and short ribs only. There simply are no substitutes.

      1. re: HaagenDazs
        hannaone Oct 30, 2007 04:36 PM

        Here in Seattle, I get the flanken Korean cut for $3.50 to $4.25/lb. That's from the H-Mart (HanahReum) in Federal Way.

        1. re: HaagenDazs
          MMRuth Oct 30, 2007 04:45 PM

          Wow - even in my various Manhattan markets the price isn't higher than $6.99 a pound, and usually less than that.

      2. sixelagogo Oct 30, 2007 03:45 AM

        So a the Korean cut the same as an English cut? I usually find the k-style MUCH thinner than the ones I typically have cut for me.

        1 Reply
        1. re: sixelagogo
          hannaone Oct 30, 2007 09:50 AM

          Cross-rib Roast A cross-rib roast contains the meaty portions on the top of ribs 3 through 5. The cross-rib roast is also known by the following names:

          * Boston Cut
          * English Cut
          * Bread and Butter Cut
          * Shoulder Clod

          Short Ribs

          Ribs 1 through 5 are located in the chuck primal. They have plenty of meat and have less fat than short ribs from the plate. Short ribs cut parallel to the bone are known as English style short ribs. They may include a bit of the bone or may be sold boneless. Short ribs that are cut across the rib bones are known as flanken.
          Korean cut are typically a 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick (but may vary) flanken style (cross) cut.
          English style is typically cut along the rib instead of across the rib.

        2. Shane Greenwood Oct 29, 2007 05:35 PM

          I bought them yesterday and the butcher called them "English" cut.

          I used barolo in my braising liquid and it was super good.

          1. f
            FrankJBN Oct 29, 2007 01:02 PM

            I see flanken called short ribs too - not flanken. A nice 2-3 inch thick hunk of marbled meat, that's what you want. Well actually about a dozen pieces like that.

            2 Replies
            1. re: FrankJBN
              MMRuth Oct 29, 2007 01:03 PM

              I'm not sure what you mean - I recently discussed this with a butcher, and there are two ways to cut short ribs - as flanken short ribs - with the three ribs, and the other way.

              1. re: FrankJBN
                hannaone Oct 29, 2007 01:49 PM

                You can find the flanken cut under several different names, they are all from Beef short ribs:

                Flanken Ribs
                Flanken Style Ribs
                Korean Cut (I don't know why, since the flanken Kai Bi is an LA invention)
                LA Gal Bi
                Cross cut
                You can also get a modified flanken cut where the individual ribs are cross cut in 1 1/2 to 3 inch lengths, then separated (This one should be called Korean cut)

              2. a
                Alan408 Oct 29, 2007 01:00 PM

                Link to a recent discussion.


                1. MMRuth Oct 29, 2007 12:51 PM

                  I think there are two cuts of short ribs - flanken, where you end up with three short bones with the meat - and "the other kind", cut the opposite way, where there is one piece of bone per chunk of meat. I've made both, and don't have a preference, other than that the latter is easier to tie up. My favorite recipe - made it Saturday - is from the Balthazar cookbook.

                  Show Hidden Posts