How can I save my bland pumpkin soup?
I made a modified version of the Chez Panisse Vegetables roasted pumpkin soup recipe yesterday, but it tastes really bland. Here's what's I did:
- roasted 1 sugar pie pumpkin
- meanwhile, sauteed 1/2 an onion, a handful of carrots, four garlic cloves, and thyme in oil until they were soft.
- scooped out the pumpkin and put it in the pot with a quart of chicken stock, brought to a simmer.
- added salt, pepper, about 1/2 tablespoon of butter, and more thyme.
- pureed the whole thing
It's still really bland. The original recipe didn't call for the carrots and onion, but I thought it would be too boring. And it is. Here are some thoughts I have for fixing it:
- add some sauteed onions, garlic, and some ginger
- add cream
- add something acidic -- orange juice?
Start with a couple of cubed potatoes to add body, add ginger and some ground white pepper. Add the cream at the end when you re-blitz. You could add more sauteed onions at the beginning as well.
ginger would be great imho, also the pumpking soup we have in the carribean has some cayenne in it. not enough to be spicy, but it kicks up the flavor.