Brix Wine Cafe - Kirkland/Juanita
- wlayres Oct 4, 2007 02:25 PM
I had an excellent dinner last night at Brix Wine Cafe in Juanita Village. The chef hails from Barking Frog, and boy does it show! The food is fantastic. The atmosphere is upscale comfortable with hip music played at a comfortable volume. Our friendly, enthusiastic waitress helped with our food and wine selections. The restaurant is a great alternative to Purple, which I always think I'll like until I have to pull my 800 lb chair away from the table. ugh!
About our Brix meal:
- A fresh bread basket was served with a very green, herby dipping oil which we loved. It required the addition of a bit of salt, which our server brought to our table on request.
- I highly recommend the scallops appetizer of three perfectly seasoned and seared scallops served with a smear of buttery mashed potatoes.
- We also ordered the wild mushroom flatbread as an appetizer, which was tasty, but I would skip that next time for a more flavorful flatbread option, of which they have several.
- The skirtsteak entree was surprisingly tender and cooked perfectly to medium doneness. The steak was almost overshadowed by the amazing potato sidedish of paper-thin potato slices seared with the perfect amount of crunch. Awesome! Also on the plate was a tasty sauted swiss chard.
- I ordered the pappardelle with bolognese ragu sauce when I learned they used fresh (not dried) noodles. The sauce was delicious, but could have been more 'saucy' as it started to dry out toward the end of my meal.
Brix has a huge wine selection, and we enjoyed a wonderful bottle of Shiraz.
Has anybody else had a good experience at Brix? I certainly will be returning very soon before it gets discovered and the wait for the tables gets too long!
The original comment has been removed
Absolutely LOVE this place!! Brix provides a much needed dimension to the Juanita neighborhood with fabulous, modestly priced, delicious food and wine. We've already been a few times since it opened a 3 weeks ago and can't stop raving about their Crab Mac n Cheese to all our friends! Downtempo & casual atmosphere. Their booths are a bit squeezed in, kinda tight, so we perfer to sit at their bar and drool over their huge wine selection. love it though. so glad its here!
I also was super excited that a new independent, hip wine cafe was coming to Juanita. Tried it the other night and they didn't let me down. Great bottle of Zinfandel & Delicious Crab Mac & Cheese. The Waitstaff was friendly and knowledgeable. Highly recommended.
Made the drive from Duvall for a private 40th Birthday party in their private room. Service was exceptional. The menu was seasonal and wine pairings were perfect. My first thought was - WAY better than Purple. The food was really delicious. We had the cheese starter (the drunken goat was amazing) shrimp skewers, beet and arugula salad with goat cheese, salmon with sweet potato mashers and sauteed arugula. We finished off with a birthday cake filled with passionfruit creme. Their menu and pricing is on their site http://www.brixwinecafe.com/home/
Give it a try - I'll be going back!
Had dinner at Purple the other night after i got a $100 gift card there. We had 4 different "tastes" and none of them were good. The tuna tartare was tasteless as was the quail. The hummus wasn't any better than stuff you would get at Trader Joe's. The anchovies weren't bad, but not anything special. Got the mac & cheese with lobster (based on the recommendation from the barteder) and lamb burger for dinner. The mac was tasty to start but then as it cooled, it started to congeal into a nasty mess and I felt queasy about the whole experience. The lamb burger was pretty good as were the yam fries it came with.
We ended with cheeses, all of which were good and the wines throughout the night were tasty.
The staff all seem to not like the place. Have a bit of an indifferent attitude. All in all, it's not worth going back to.