OOOhh...blueberry crumb cake sounds wonderful!! If it isn't a huge pain would you?
Chew- thank you so much that is EXACTLY what I am looking for- going to make one this weekend and will report back....do you think it would be good in a bundt pan? I always have trouble getting the center of my cake cooked- it isnt raw but by the time it is completely cooked the outsides get a bit dry...
Here you go - it's fabulous! I took this to work - one of my co-workers does not usually eat desserts and I found him hunched over the empty pan, scooping up the last bits of the crumb topping and declaring whoever made the cake a genius. Note - if you use frozen blueberries you'll have to increase the baking time. I use the small frozen wild blueberries from trader joe's and get good berry distribution.
1 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c sugar
1/3 c packed dk brown sugar (I've used light and it was still yum)
1 teas cinnamon
1/4 teas salt
7 tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 1/4 teas baking powder
1/4 teas baking soda
1/4 teas salt
1 c blueberries
1 c sour cream
1 1/2 teas vanilla
1/2 c plus 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter - softened
1 c sugar
2 lg eggs
9X9 in pan - buttered and floured
350 deg oven
1. Make topping: Mix all ingredients except butter. Add butter and mix to make uniform crumbs.
2. For cake: Mix dry ingredients in one bowl. In a second bowl mix blueberries with one tablespoon of dry ingredients from first bowl. In a third bowl, mix the sour cream and vanilla.
3. Beat butter and sugar until very light and fluffy - 5 min or so. Add eggs one at a time until well-blended. Turn mixer down to low and alternate adding the dry ingredients and sour cream mixture - beginning and ending with the dry ingredients with 3 dry and 2 wet additions. Remove from mixer and fold in blueberries by hand.
4. Spread into prepared pan and top with crumb topping.
5. Bake for approx 45 minutes (longer if using frozen blueberries). She recommends the toothpick test for doneness. I always end up with underbaked goods using a toothpick as my guide and have better luck tapping the surface of the cake to see if it springs back. Serve from the pan. Store in fridge for up to 3 days.
Hope you like it as much as we do!
You got it! Here's a recipe for Blueberry Cake with Lemon Glaze:
1 C. butter, softened
2 C. sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
3 C. flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2 pints fresh blueberries
1 C. powdered sugar
1-2 Tbs. lemon juice
Cream together butter and sugar. Add beaten eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, salt and baking powder and fold in blueberries. Combine the two mixtures and pour into a greased and floured tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until cake is completely cooked in the center. Allow cake to cool before removing from pan and placing on a cake plate.
Glaze: Combine ingredients and mix well. Drizzle over cooled cake.
Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more recipes, I have more where that came from...