Mock Meats in LA?
Hey, does anyone know of some places to get convincing / tasty mock meats in greater LA? Things like the seitan salads at Real Food Daily aren't quite it, I'm trying to find places that openly imitate chicken, steak, et al. while also being vegetarian. Some Chinese places seem to be pretty good with this, are there any more out there in other styles?
Vegan Plate, which features both Thai and American dishes, has really tasty fake-chicken (it is really weird for me to even put the words tasty and fake in the same sentence) and they make their fake shrimp arched and colored in the manner of an actual shrimp.
11943 Ventura Blvd, Studio City, CA 91604
Yes. I just went there on Sunday for a family brunch. "Two no-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese..."
It's completely vegan -- the "cheese" is made in-house from cashews. They also have "chicken" sandwiches which honestly taste exactly like chicken, but are made from seitan. The tempeh bacon by itself isn't very good but it works when "with" stuff.
Well, in Studio City or West Hollywood, Kung Pao Bistro does the mock meat thing quite well, and they have a whole page of items using it. However, make sure your server understands vegetarian/mock, not the real orange chicken, as an example. And in fact, their mock orange chicken is better than their regular orange chicken, strange as it may seem. I like their mock dishes a lot, especially the duck and chicken versions.
Now this is a topic I can get behind!
I think Bulan Thai (vegetarian, mostly vegan) has better mock meat (especially the chiken) and general Thai cuisine than the other vegan Thai restaurants mentioned in this thread. You can see a review and pics at: http://meatlessinla.blogspot.com/2007...
Here are some vegetarian restaurant recommendations featuring mock meat:
- Mighty Vege House on Valley Blvd in Alhambra - see my review w/ pics at http://meatlessinla.blogspot.com/2007...
- Bean Sprouts in Arcadia
- Native Foods in Westwood does some fake meat althought I don't think it is their strong suit
- Tea Shaker and Vegetarian Restaurant in El Monte
- Fine Garden on Las Tunas in San Gabriel
- Vegetarian Wok on Valley Boulevard in San Gabriel
- Veggie Life Vietnamese in El Monte
- Papillion Vegetarian Cuisine Grill (Phillipino & Chinese) in El Segundo
- Hospital Cafeteria in the Glendale Adventist Medical Center
- Cinnamon Vegetarian Restaurant (Mexican) in Highland Park
- Vegisoul on Jefferson Blvd.
- Soul Vegetarian on Pico Blvd
- Leonor’s Mexican in North Hollywood , Studio City, & Valley Village
- Garden Wok in Reseda
- Good Karma Vegan Café (veggie burgers) on the Venice boardwalk
Non-Vegetarian restaurants with more than one mock meat option on the menu:
- Brite Spot on Sunset in Echo Park
- Golden China on Venice in Culver City
- Mock meat pizza toppings at Stonefire Pizza Co. on La Cienega
- Mendocino Farms in Downtown serves gourmet sandwiches w/ soy bacon & cutlets
- Astro Burger on Melrose in Hollywood
Many Shainghainese restaurants feature vegetarian meats such as the smoked "duck" appetizer. I just had vegetarian kidneys at Chang's Garden in Arcadia
You can get good mock meat products for cooking at:
- Bodhi Vegetarian Supply on Valley Blvd in Alhambra
- Veggie Express on Garvey in Monterey Park
- ABC Christian (Adventist) Supplies & Health Food Store in Glendale
There are also a bunch of vegetarian places in Orange County. I know I'll think of more...
you won't be fooled into thinking you're eating a big, juicy steak, but the peanut sauce at native foods makes any of their fake meats taste good!
i also don't think anyone mentioned california vegan. i drive past the west l.a. location [where thai beer used to be] all the time.
China Beach Bistro in Venice has pretty tasty fake ham in many of the dishes on its vegan menu page (and the added bonus of being BYO for humane oenophiles on a budget).
Maxwell's Cafe on Washington in MDR (unless, bizarrely, it's still called Culver City in that stretch) has fake sausage patties on the breakfast menu that I think are quite good.