HOME > Chowhound > Wine >

Italian glass wine aerator/pourer

commissaris Sep 21, 2007 10:00 AM

While in Tuscany this past week, we were in a restaurant in Montalcino where the waiter had a neat wine pourer/aerator. It attached directly to the wine bottle, looked like a glass globe, and he poured the wine into the globe, then tipped it into our glasses. I was able to find a similar item in a wine store in Castelina in Chianti, but the globe is shaped like a bunch of grapes.

I've been seaching on line valiantly to try to find another one or two to buy. I'm not evaluating the effectiveness, but simply the 'funness' of using this.

Does anyone have a source or suggestion for buying these? I've tried multiple seaches under "wine aerators" "wine decanting" "wine funnels" (although this really isn't a funnel) and about any other term I could think of.

Thanks for any and all help!

Nan C.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. carswell RE: commissaris Sep 21, 2007 10:08 AM

    There was a discussion of a similar device a while back: www.chowhound.com/topics/403169

    3 Replies
    1. re: carswell
      commissaris RE: carswell Sep 21, 2007 10:25 AM

      Thanks - info on the Vinturi is about all I can find.

      But the glass globe pourer/aerator we saw looked very different. Just interested for the novelty of it - it looks very fun and seemed to be very effective on the young tannic reds we drank.

      1. re: commissaris
        FrankJBN RE: commissaris Sep 21, 2007 10:27 AM

        Have you searched "wine [or bar] accessories"?

        1. re: FrankJBN
          commissaris RE: FrankJBN Sep 21, 2007 10:35 AM

          Yup - I've tried both of these. I've even tried the name on the box of the grape bunch shaped one - "Il Dosavino" - still without success.

    2. stubbie999 RE: commissaris Sep 21, 2007 12:07 PM

      Is it the 'Vinoglobe' that you're looking for?


      Sounds like this fits the bill. Never used one, but rembmered seeing it in my web travels...


      1 Reply
      1. re: stubbie999
        commissaris RE: stubbie999 Sep 21, 2007 12:59 PM

        This is close, but the other one has a small side ways spout to pour sideways out of the globe.


      2. Midlife RE: commissaris Sep 21, 2007 01:27 PM

        I was shown an item, some time ago, that I think is what you're describing. It was really more of a measured pouring device than an aerator. It was available in a couple of different globe sizes, each configured in ounces to measure out specific pours. The way it worked was that you tipped the bottle to fill the globe, then had to change the angle to pour from the globe into the glass. The globe was so small (4oz, 6oz), and the distance the wine traveled into it so short that my take on it was that it would not significantly aerate the wine. It was rather expensive for a pour measurer, if I recall. More of a conversation piece than anything else.

        If I find anything specific on it I'll repost.

        5 Replies
        1. re: Midlife
          commissaris RE: Midlife Sep 21, 2007 02:21 PM

          Thanks to all of the suggestions I think I've finally found it - the "Centellino" at www.rothschildluxury.com.


          1. re: commissaris
            Frodnesor RE: commissaris Sep 21, 2007 02:48 PM

            I love the translation in the movie on that website - "Taste good!"

            1. re: commissaris
              zin1953 RE: commissaris Sep 22, 2007 08:52 AM

              OK, forgive me, but that's the stupist thing I've ever seen! Looking at the video of the "Centellino," 1) it does very little in terms of aeration to the wine; 2) by rotating the bottle 90 degrees to empty the "amphora," you've disturbed (read "shaken up" any sediment within the bottle and ruined the clarity of the wine.

              Judging by the two videos, the "Vinoglobe" does a MUCH better job of aeration than the "Centellino," but it, too, would disturb the sediment, and rather badly!

              I would never use either one.

              What's so difficult with decanting the bottle???

              1. re: zin1953
                Midlife RE: zin1953 Sep 22, 2007 08:52 PM

                The one I saw looked just like the Centellino except that the "amphora"(?) was completely round. I wasn't so concerned about sediment but just didn't think it would aerate. It was presented to me as a measure device that would look cool in our wine bar, where we are limited to 2oz. pours. Unfortunately they did not make a 2oz size.

                1. re: Midlife
                  zin1953 RE: Midlife Sep 22, 2007 09:42 PM

                  There ARE such devices that "limit" the pour. Butthat is their primary purpose . . . not to aerate the wine.

          2. d
            dgreenbe RE: commissaris Jun 11, 2008 08:52 AM

            called versovino. available online here. http://www.pouringwine.com/

            2 Replies
            1. re: dgreenbe
              Condiment Queen RE: dgreenbe Jun 12, 2008 09:07 AM

              Hey dg..
              Have you used the versovino?
              I have the Vinturi wine aerator and really like it..
              ; )

              1. re: Condiment Queen
                zin1953 RE: Condiment Queen Jun 12, 2008 12:31 PM

                And what about the sediment that gets constantly shaken from twisting the bottle back and forth?

            2. l
              Liz in Seattle RE: commissaris Oct 11, 2009 02:15 PM

              The one you saw was likely a Centellino that uses a glass amphora at the top of the bottle. The wine is poured into the amphora, the vessel is then rotated and pours the wine into the glass. The are others on the market - Vinturi for instance - it does a nice job, but you really do have to wait a bit for good quality wine to fully open up - and it does sound a bit like a Bendix washing machine.

              3 Replies
              1. re: Liz in Seattle
                Midlife RE: Liz in Seattle Oct 11, 2009 11:25 PM


                The one I saw had a round 'amphora'? but it worked the same way.

                1. re: Midlife
                  Midlife RE: Midlife Oct 15, 2009 11:02 AM

                  Stumbled on this today. It's the one I saw. Wonder if any of the OPs are still seeing this? I'm really on the fence about getting into old topics.


                  1. re: Midlife
                    PolarBear RE: Midlife Oct 15, 2009 05:23 PM

                    Interesting that they state that it delivers the equivalent of a glass of wine, 100 ml? Every Italian I know would consider that amount just enough for quality control.

              Show Hidden Posts