HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
What's your latest food project? Share your adventure

Indian fennel sweets

ctl98 Sep 16, 2007 09:17 AM

What do you call those candy coated fennel seeds that they put out on a dish in Indian restaurants? I want to buy some buy don't know what it's called. Thanks!

  1. s
    shahkbhaji Sep 16, 2007 02:52 PM

    Mukhwas means breath freshener (mukh = mouth + vas = odor). Sugar coated fennel seeds are one of the more popular ones at restaurants. Often they come packaged with other seeds too, so have a look to make sure you get what you want.

    There are also savory mukhwas like dhana ni dal (the insides of coriander seeds, my favorite) and addictive ones like betel nut + tobacco (yuk) and regional ones like toasted oregano seed + sesame seed + salt (OK, actually that's my favorite).

    1. k
      klieglight2 Sep 16, 2007 11:25 AM

      I think this is what you are referring to, called Mukhwas, although I have seen different spellings.


      No affiliation with this online Indian goods seller, just hope this helps.


      Show Hidden Posts