Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Sep 10, 2007 10:03 AM

ISO old-school tin berry pie pans

the ones with the deep 1 inch-wide, 1 inch deep "drip-lip" for berry ooze all around the pie pan, like my mom prefers to use. a 9 inch pie pan becomes an 11-inch flying saucer-looking thing, can you picture it? does any company still make these? i absolutely don't care how much they cost, if i can just get my hands on some, & i've been looking for years. TIA chowhounds!

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. if in good condition, would you accept a used one? my first line of action when searchoing for such things is eBay. i don't know if they are still made, but if not, you should be able to find a used one there.

    2 Replies
    1. re: vvvindaloo

      yes-- i'd take one used. i'll check out ebay/craigslist, but am looking for several. . . we'll see.

      1. re: soupkitten

        I was curious, so I checked out eBay myself, and came up empty. I can't believe it! Maybe a housewares/restaurant auction? Do they even have those? ;)

    2. Check these out- they don't have as wide of a lip as you describe, but are basically what you are looking for. I am on a mission, now...

      1. Oh, wait- search eBay for "tin pie" and all sorts of vintage options come up, which look like what you are describing. Sure enough, none of my searches have produced a "new" version that is exactly like what you are looking for. So, if the ones on eBay are it, you may be able to get several of the same kind by buying or bidding on more than one listing. Whew, I feel better now.

        5 Replies
        1. re: vvvindaloo

          oh thank you so much for searching with me vvvindaloo-- you are very sweet!

          this ebay listing is close to what i am looking for (top pan)

          but the particular pan i'm thinking of has a even deeper "drip ring," which makes the whole pan more substantial, 11" around (although the actual pie dish is 9"), you can picture a very juicy berry pie spilling a "moat" around itself! it's really a very strange looking pie tin that i've been searching for for a long time & have not had any luck finding. maybe i can get a picture of my mom's and post it. in addition to protecting the bottom of the oven from spills, the pan's design also protects the crust from browning too quickly around the edges. it's just so cool. i will update as the search continues. . .

          1. re: soupkitten

            You're welcome- this is just the sort of research assignment I like to sink my teeth into. I am pathological, I know. And that type of pan sounds well worth searching for- I've never seen one, but from your description, I think all berry pie pans should be made that way.

            1. re: vvvindaloo

              ...I just have to add that my mom had several of these in days gone by...she baked all of her pies in them, but I never realized until now that they were for berry pies...makes perfect sense! (I love learning new stuff on CH!!)

            2. re: soupkitten

              Soupkitten- did you ever find the pans? I have looked from time to time, but they always seem to elude me.

              1. re: vvvindaloo

                no, i'm still looking. . . . :(

                thanks for checking in, vvvindaloo, if i ever find one i'll post a pic

          2. You need the ones with the blade attached to the center that sweeps the radius to free the pie.

            1 Reply
            1. re: Sam Fujisaka

              i've seen those! :)

              actually it's not so much that the ooze is always such a problem, just that pies seem to always be better in this particular pan. thanksgiving approaches and i promise to borrow a camera & score a digital photo of my mom's offering-- grr my camera broke last month. . .

            2. sorry to bump, but i have the pan in my hands now! i will try to get pics online (hope i can borrow a camera somewhere). i studied the well worn bottom of the pan and discovered the name of the manufacturer: HOLZIT (patent applied for). i googled and got some links to ebay but no pic of the item i seek.