a question for all the chef hounds...
i'm thinking about getting my first slow cooker based upon my research on the CookWare board-- my question to you is:
1) i adore pulled pork- can i make pulled pork in a slow cooker? anyone with advice/recipe?
2) what other things can i make in a slow cooker? soups? how creative can i be? any recipes to share?
hoping to pick up the slow cooker tonight and start chowing on friday!! and then using it weekly...
2. Soups, stews, bean dishes, goulash, crumbles, cobblers, chili, use it to keep fondue hot, pasta sauces, lentils, ethiopian wots, lamb shanks, "tagine" dishes, roast chickens, capons, beef dishes..and much more. You can get some great slowcooker cook books at most book stores.
Excellent points Diana, some people only use their cookers for stewing and braising, and don't think that they can roast a chicken. Put some stuffing on the bottom, and then the chicken all seasoned up. Yum.
I love mine, and its also great during the holidays when its full of mulled wine or Apple Jack with oranges and pears studded with cloves and cinammon sticks floating. I can't wait!
I love pulled pork in the crockpot. Here is the recipe I use. You can either do beef brisket or pork. There is also a recipe going around another food board I frequent for a barbecued pork with rootbeer. I haven't tried the recipe though. I think you could find it on allrecipes.com. I highly recommend the southern living slow cooker cookbook.
* 1 1/2 cups ketchup
* 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* 2 tablespoons prepared Dijon-style mustard
* 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 (4 pound) boneless chuck roast
1. In a large bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, Dijon-style mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke. Stir in salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
2. Place chuck roast in a slow cooker. Pour ketchup mixture over chuck roast. Cover, and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours.
3. Remove chuck roast from slow cooker, shred with a fork, and return to the slow cooker. Stir meat to evenly coat with sauce. Continue cooking approximately 1 hour.