HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
What are you cooking today? Share your food adventure

Covering an indoor gas grill?

djbpitt Aug 25, 2007 05:30 AM

Dear Chowhounders, Outdoor grills and many stand-alone indoor ones have integrated covers, which are useful for covering thicker foods as needed during cooking. The indoor grill built into my range top doesn't have such a cover--and, for that matter, neither do the indoor grills I see in open restaurant kitchens. What is the indoor equivalent of covering an outdoor grill? Start or finish the food in the oven? Use foil or an inverted foil roasting pan (which might catch on fire in a flare-up)? Something else? Thanks, David

  1. v
    Virginia Roby Feb 21, 2008 08:42 AM

    I had a Charmglow in my kitchen for 14 years, and used foil pans over ribs and thick porkchops. In 14 years, I never had a problem with flame-ups, that a spritz of water didn't cure. Of course, I turned the lava rocks and/or replaced them regularly.

    Now I've moved I'm looking for another grill that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

    Ginny :)

    1. Joe Blowe Aug 25, 2007 10:12 AM

      Your first instinct is correct: start on your indoor grill, and then finish in your oven...

      Show Hidden Posts