ONE last meal??
I would have a poor man's final tasting meal:
1) one piece of Golden Bird fried chicken
2) a small banh xeo from Van Restaurant
3) 1/3 of a beef roll from 101 Noodle Express
4) 1/6 of a slice of pork, cheese, and curry powder okonomiyaki from Gaja
5) an assorted plate of vegetable tempura from Komatsu Tempura Bar
6) a self-made soft taco with conchinita pibil from Babita
7) stuffed tofu with spinach from Happy Family
8) one small bowl of stewed short ribs from Yong Su San
9) Maeda-en lychee sorbet
10) a slice of white chocolate blueberry tart from San Francisco's Sweet Inspiration
a bit much, but I can dream......
That is not an easy question. Do you go with a place you haven't been and maybe couldn't ordinarily afford? If so, then my choice would be Urasawa.
Or, do you go with a sure thing, a place you've been previously and loved, maybe a tasting blowout at Spago or Providence?
For me, there is even a third choice, which is a type of ethnic food that you may not be able to get elsewhere in the US (i.e. one of LA's many incredible Thai, Korean, Chinese, Japanese or Mexican restaurants)?
Crustacean's in Beverly Hills. Their signature Dungeness crab and garlic noodles. Their margaritas are the best I've ever had and their dessert chef is outstanding. BTW, who's paying for the bill?
Crustacean, 9646 Santa Monica Blvd, Beverly Hills, CA 90210
(310) 205-8990 www.anfamily.com
9646 Santa Monica Blvd, Beverly Hills, CA 90210