Throwing a party for 30, how much food do I need?
We're having a bbq party. The menu includes bbq pork and grilled chicken sandwiches, cole slaw, pasta salad, black bean and corn salad, and a green salad with gorgonzola and pecans. 30 adults. I was wondering:
How many lbs of pork bbq?
How many chicken breasts?
How many lbs of cole slaw, pasta salad, and black bean salad?
How much green salad?
You kind of have to know your audience. But, here's a rule of thumb I use for large parties:
- figure 1/4 to 1/2 lb. per person of the TOTAL of all your salads. If you think one will go faster than others, obviously plan more. So, like 12 lbs. total, divided up among 4 salads.
- figure 1/2 lb. meat per person for pork and chicken - will you have more pork than chicken eaters? 15 lbs. of meat, you call how much chicken and pork
- estimate 1.5 buns per person
- estimate 3 full glasses of whatever liquid you are serving per person (and 3X the number of plastic cups- 90- or whatever you will serve in)
- if you are doing cookies/desserts, figure 1 of each kind per person
- always, always, get more ice than you think you need, somehow it always disappears
Remember, always better to have too much (you can freeze leftovers) than too little!