Sweets and other baked goods in Boston
- StriperGuy Aug 14, 2007 09:34 AM
By no means exhaustive, here are some places I find you can get worthy sweets. This topic has been covered many times on the board, so I would definitely look at old threads. For sweets other notables:
- Yi Soon Allston, excellent taiwanese bakery I have posted on ad nauseum
- Athan's some good stuff, "Jamaica" my favorite pastry
- Modern Pastry North End and Medford
- Maria's North End
- Quebrada Arlington
- I had a really amazing cake from Lyndell's in somerville not too long ago, though like many Boston places only some stuff is noteworthy
- The Brazilian Cafe Belo mini chain sells some truly amazing cakes. I have been trying to figure out who makes them forever
- Tabrizi Bakery in Watertown square has persian baked goods that they actuallys ship to NYC once a week. Limited selection, but very unique and tasty stuff
- Rosies, great cakes, their chocolate glob cookies are my absolute favorite
- Danish Pastry House Medford and Watertown, breads and some nice sweets
I am sure I am leaving a few out...
Thanks for the summation. I know all about checking the other threads for these topics. Those that I have looked into were from last year or later. It is nice to have up to date info for my trip. Cant wait to try a few of these, hope we have enough time to find them all!
Other good one's:
Brian's Cakes in Braintree
This Takes The Cake in Quincy
I hear this place called Sweet Tooth is great. It use to be the Oven Door Irish bakery among many other things, at the corner of E Street and Broadway
I would add a couple in Cambridge:
- Mariposa in Central Square (although I haven't tried much)
- Hi Rise: breads are of course their strength, but I do love their chocolate loaf
Lakota Bakery Arlington Heights - amazing butter-based cookies, shortbreads, and the BEST Florentines...anywhere...ever. Products also sold at Formaggio Kitchen and a couple of other places, but the bakery seems the best (similar to going to Iggy's vs buying at Whole Foods, etc.)
1373 Massachusetts Ave, Arlington, MA 02476
Bread and Chocolate, a new bakery off of Walnut Street in Newtonville, has some nice items including donut muffins and coconut cupcakes. I haven't loved everything, but it is worth a visit if you are in the area.
I love Rosie's chocolate coconut macaroons.
The Danish Pastry House has some interesting pastries including an unusual but delectable banana pie.