ITALIAN LEMON DROP COOKIES
These are my favorite. They are called Anginetti (Italian Lemon Drop Cookies)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. For cookies, cream together sugar and shortening.
3. Add eggs and lemon extract and beat well.
4. Add flour, baking powder and salt; Mix well.
5. The dough should be soft and sticky.
6. With a small cookie scoop, drop dough onto a slightly greased cookie sheet or baking stone, spacing them about 2-inches apart.
7. Bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until firm and lightly brown.
8. Remove cookies from cookie sheet and allow to cool completely on wire racks.
9. For frosting, combine confectioners' sugar, water and lemon extract and mix until smooth.
10. Frost the tops of each cookie with a metal spatula.
11. Allow cookies to dry before stacking.
12. Store in an airtight container.
These are just like the NYC bakeries I grew up with, hope you like them.
Perhaps this is what you are looking for.....they are drop cookies, since they are dropped by the teaspoonful onto the baking sheet.
Lemon Cookies (Biscotti al Limone)
from Luigi Carnacina's Great Italian Cooking Recipe #1936 - page 633
1 cup + tablespoons superfine sugar
pinch of salt
juice of 1 lemon, strained
grated rind of 1 lemon (no white part)
1½ cup triple-sifted all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons coarse sugar crystals (or substitute colored cooky shot)
Place the eggs, sugar, salt and lemon juice in a deep bowl (preferably of unlined copper) and place the bowl over a pan of hot (not boiling) water. With a wire whisk beat until greatly increased in volume and light in color. At this point remove from hot water, add lemon rind, and beat until somewhat cool. Sift in the flour, gradually, lightly incorporating it into the eggs with the whisk. Lightly butter a large baking sheet, dust it with flour, and tap off the excess. Drop the batter by teaspoonful 2 inches apart on the sheet, and sprinkle each cooky with a few grains of the crystals. Bake in a 350° F. oven for 10 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer cookies onto a cake rack at once. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.