happy hour / food recommendations
I haven't been in a while, but my crew and I from UT would go over to the Roaring Fork (Stephen F. Austin Hotel) and mack on a HUGE cheeseburger for 6.95, half price appetizers till 7 or 7:30 pm. Get the scallop app (nice grilled scallops over spiced up cheese grits with a great sauce), the burger, the doctor pepper ribs, or the pork stew. All are great, and the drinks are 1 or 2 bucks off or more, can't recall. The burger and its fries will feed two just fine. It's always packed, but usually we've snagged 3 to 4 seats at the very nice bar. Good lighting too.
I am a big fan of HH specials. I'll list some details - but they are from memory and not guaranteed to be correct. My favorites:
1. Austin Land and Cattle - M-F (5-7) - Half price bar menu and $1 off drinks - Best deal I think is the steak sampler - 6 oz of steak for $4.50 (usually $9) and their black and blue salad is amazing. In the bar area only though
2. Wink does HH in the wine bar - M-Sat (5-7) but menu is much different from restaurant and limited. We had the goad cheese and tomato bruschetta which was awesome and the brie burgers which were pretty good - want to try the mac and cheese with black truffles next time...has anyone had that?
3. Jeffery's HH is in the bar area Sun-F - half price bar apps - food was pretty good but weird ambiance - really really quiet with elevator music
4. 219 is great because the HH specials go until 9pm and their menu is the longest of the ones I've seen - the mini burgers and the cheese fries (trust me) are amazing - ask about drink specials
5. Gingerman - they do a special on Mondays where if you buy the beer on special you get to keep the glass
I am a big fan of....
- 219 West- 5-9pm 1/2 of apps and great drink specials
- Malaga- great special w/glass of wine & tapas for $6-ish
- Saba- 1/2 of certain apps and drink specials
- Eddie V's- already mentioned above
- Pluckers has $2 top shelf drinks after 9pm
- Jeffery's has specials after 9 (I believe)
Manuel's offers half-price apps and their ceviche is good.
Also, Blue Star Cafeteria does some cheap food at HH. A friend of mine and I did HH there and had 3 glasses of wine, three apps (crab cakes, fried artichokes and a large, gooey 3-cheese grilled cheese sandwich with a apple chutney for $3.49) and peach cobbler a la mode. The total bill was under $35 for decent chow (not wonderful chow, but I would order that grilled chese again). However, this is a place to find a good value...not a bar scene.