Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Not About Food >
Jul 3, 2007 10:13 AM

Sushi Bar "Flags"?? [moved from Manhattan board]

Does anybody know what those flags are called that are usually hung around the top part of the sushi bar in japanese restaurants? Would anybody know where I can get them?

They are kind of like a fringe around the top of the bar. The best way to describe them is like those Corona beer flag strings that every bar hangs up on Cinco de Mayo.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Do you mean Noren? Usually they hang in doorways, but they tend to appear all over now.

    Like this?

    2 Replies
    1. re: Scrapironchef

      They are like those, but way shorter, and usually hang around the over head of a sushi bar and have japanese characters on them.

      1. re: msfood

        Again, they are a variation of noren. Not traditional Japanese, but then again, neither are creme cheese based maki.